The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By James Aver­ill

NORTHAMP­TON TOWN charged back within sec­onds of go­ing be­hind – and boss Chris Wilder says his side’s re­cov­ery was a sight to be­hold.

It had looked like it was go­ing to be a long af­ter­noon for the Cob­blers when Wy­combe went 1-0 up through Luke O’Nien’s sec­ond minute header.

But Wilder’s side showed great char­ac­ter to get them­selves back in the game with a de­light­ful curl­ing free-kick from Marc Richards ten min­utes be­fore the break.

And an ex­plo­sive start in the sec­ond half saw them in­crease their lead to 3-1 with goals from Law­son D’Ath and Shaun Bris­ley.

Danny Rowe’s late strike kept things in­ter­est­ing, but Wy­combe couldn’t find the equaliser and Northamp­ton held out.

Wilder said: “I thought the re­cov­ery af­ter their first goal early on was out­stand­ing. They are a dan­ger­ous team and they get the balls into dif­fi­cult ar­eas and make you de­fend.

“Then we got off to a flyer in the sec­ond half, they were fan­tas­tic head­ers and I felt we were pretty com­fort­able from then on.

“It’s been out­stand­ing and they’ve re­warded a su­perb fol­low­ing from the fans with a de­served three points.”

The first half was as en­ter­tain­ing as they come in League Two, with both sides hav­ing a host of chances.

O’Nien set the stan­dard for the rest of the game when he looped a header over Adam Smith to give Wy­combe the lead.

Northamp­ton threw ev­ery­thing at the hosts, but Matt In­gram was solid in goal to keep out ef­forts from Sam Hoskins, while Joe Ja­cob­sen cleared Ryan Cress­well’s header off the line.

The equaliser came when Mar­cus Bean hauled down Richards on the edge of the area, and the Cob­blers cap­tain dusted him­self down and curled home a won­der­ful ef­fort into the top cor­ner.

The quick­fire head­ers from D’Ath and Bris­ley in the first five min­utes of the sec­ond half stunned the home fans, but Wan­der­ers grad­u­ally came back into the en­counter.

And with just eight min­utes left Rowe took ad­van­tage of some sloppy de­fend­ing in the box to slam home from a loose ball.

But it proved to be just a con­so­la­tion, and Wy­combe boss Gareth Ainsworth praised his side for go­ing right un­til the end.

He said: “Northamp­ton are a big strong team and they will al­ways have goals in them. “But the man­ner of their goals in the sec­ond half was dis­ap­point­ing – they were weak head­ers that went un­chal­lenged.

“We came out with a new for­ma­tion to sti­fle them, and they had three chances in the sec­ond half and scored two of them, and that’s not good enough.

“I thought there were a few tired play­ers out there. We have a small squad and the games are com­ing thick and fast.

“But there are no ex­cuses, Northamp­ton did well and de­served the three points.

“We were right in it un­til the end though, and that was great for the fans.

“We’re not go­ing to win ev­ery game, and we’re sec­ond in the ta­ble so it’s not all doom and gloom.”


YOU BEAUTY: Cel­e­bra­tions as Law­son D'Ath of Northamp­ton scores to make it 2-1

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.