Fl­itcroft be­moans ref dis­play

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Mikael McKen­zie

BURY boss David Fl­itcroft was un­happy with ref­eree Graham Sal­is­bury’s per­for­mance in their derby clash against Wi­gan as a game-chang­ing red card cost his side a sev­enth con­sec­u­tive league vic­tory.

Nathan Cameron headed Bury into an early lead be­fore sub Tom Pope dou­bled the ad­van­tage with a div­ing header on the hour mark.

But Shakers de­fender Chris Hussey saw red in the 78th minute and al­lowed the visi­tors a way back into the game – sub Grant Holt the first ben­e­fi­ciary turn­ing home from close-range to halve the deficit.

And as the clock ticked to 90 min­utes, Wi­gan skip­per Craig Mor­gan drilled the ball into the bot­tom cor­ner to snatch a share of the points.

Fl­itcroft said: “I will speak with the ref­eree but my emo­tions are run­ning high at the mo­ment.

“When you see of­fi­ci­at­ing like that over 94 min­utes, the in­con­sis­ten­cies and the chaos with the send­ing-off, it's tough.

“He gives Hussey two yel­lows but then for­gets he's booked him in the first half.

“I don’t ac­tu­ally blame the ref. I think peo­ple above the ref send­ing him to this game need to look at that and an­a­lyse that.

“Af­ter the send­ing off it be­came a toss-up. It be­came a game of chaos.

“I didn’t feel un­der threat what­so­ever with 11 men on the pitch. We had to­tal con­trol with­out the ball and the dis­ci­pline and it has been un­done and that’s dif­fi­cult.”

Cameron put Bury ahead in­side the sixth minute when he met Hussey’s cor­ner and pow­ered a header into the top cor­ner.

The Shakers’ early dom­i­nance had their lo­cal ri­vals rat­tled and Peter Clarke al­most dou­bled the lead with a close-range header that was cleared off the line.

Fl­itcroft in­tro­duced Reece Brown and Pope in the 53rd minute and seven min­utes later the duo com­bined to dou­ble the hosts’ lead – the lat­ter meet­ing a cross from the right with a su­perb div­ing header that crashed into the roof of the net.

The Lat­ics came back at Bury as Michael Ja­cobs skied over with the goal gap­ing be­fore Hussey was sent off for a sec­ond yel­low card af­ter bring­ing down Max Power in the 78th minute.

The red card was a gamechanger and sparked Wi­gan into life as Holt con­verted a cross from the right six min­utes from time to tee up a tense fi­nale.

And six min­utes later the visi­tors drew level – skip­per Mor­gan drilled a low 25-yard shot into the bot­tom right-hand cor­ner to send the trav­el­ing fans be­hind that goal into pan­de­mo­nium.

But the drama was not over there as Rob Lain­ton was needed to tip Chris McCann’s sting­ing halfvol­ley over the bar be­fore Ja­cobs rat­tled the post six min­utes into added time.

Wi­gan man­ager Gary Cald­well said: “I think ev­ery­body in the sta­dium could see that there was only one team in the game from start to fin­ish. We can’t gift goals that we gift.

“To go 2-0 down and still keep go­ing and still keep play­ing the same way; they de­serve a lot of credit for that be­cause that’s dif­fi­cult.

“We kept prob­ing and got the least that we de­served.

“Over­all I am de­lighted with the way we played, apart from the two goals and the char­ac­ter of this team is never in ques­tion.

“It is there for all to see and if we keep go­ing we won’t be far away from those at the top hope­fully.”

PIC­TURES: Media Im­age

HEAD­ING IN: Bury cap­tain Nathan Cameron jumps high­est to put his side in front early on

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.