Allen irked as Stan­ley sting Bees from start

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Sarah Darby

BAR­NET boss Martin Allen is urg­ing his play­ers to start as they mean to go on af­ter a poor open­ing led to a home de­feat at the hands of Ac­cring­ton Stan­ley.

Sam Tog­well put the visi­tors in front when he turned a Josh Win­dass cross into his own net, only for the hosts to level shortly af­ter­wards when Michael Gash fired home.

But the home side couldn’t hold on and just af­ter the hour mark Sean McConville scored the win­ner as he fired in off the post af­ter rac­ing onto Billy Kee’s pass.

It was a goal good enough to win any game and Allen ad­mit­ted his side didn’t de­serve to take home all three points.

“Un­for­tu­nately the team was not good enough here, it was a dis­ap­point­ing per­for­mance and we did not play well,” he said.

“We started to play well in the last 20 min­utes but by then it is too late.

“In the last home game we were su­perb, as the play­ers and the fans were fan­tas­tic, but for some rea­son here we were sec­ond best and we were all over the place to be hon­est.

“We fell short and we did not have the per­for­mance that we needed.

“Some of the boys look like they have lost their con­fi­dence and their legs looks over­worked, that comes from a heavy mind.

“We have got to look af­ter them here at the club, they are a great group of lads and they have the skills to play well. They have got it in them and we have to play like we have done be­fore.”

Ac­cring­ton Stan­ley started the game well and af­ter Kee forced a save from Max Cro­combe in the Bar­net goal, the visi­tors took the lead as Tog­well had his head in his hands fol­low­ing a left­wing Win­dass cross.

But less than ten min­utes later and the game was level again as Gash fired in un­der the body of Ac­cring­ton goal­keeper Jason Mooney from a Mauro Vil­hete through ball.

The visi­tors led again on 62 min­utes as McConville raced down the right wing and fired home off the in­side of the post.

Bar­net pressed for another equaliser but both Aaron McLean and Andy Yi­adom both wasted late chances, not that Ac­cring­ton man­ager John Coleman minded.

“It was a game that we started off re­ally strong. We scored in that time which is cru­cial in football,” Coleman said.

“Jason Mooney had a cou­ple of mis­takes and they man­aged to equalise be­fore half-time and we sat on the bench won­der­ing what was go­ing on.

“I thought we did well in the sec­ond half as we came out want­ing to win.

“We should have been able to score a third goal and I think we were un­lucky not to.”


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.