The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Mike Sim­monds

YORK City boss Russ Wil­cox blasted ref­eree Dar­ren Han­d­ley af­ter his side were de­nied what he felt was a clear-cut penalty dur­ing their draw at Lu­ton Town.

With the Min­ster­men al­ready lead­ing 1-0, Vadaine Oliver went down in the box un­der a chal­lenge from Scott Cuth­bert, but noth­ing was given.

Hosts Lu­ton then won a spot­kick just af­ter the hour mark for a foul on Dan Potts by Rus­sell Penn, with Cameron McGee­han lev­el­ling.

Wil­cox said: “I’m to­tally frus­trated and an­gry. I’ve got to be care­ful with what I say, but to be an­noyed to come away from Lu­ton with a point shows you how well we’ve played.

“It’s a game we should have won, a tale of two penal­ties. A bla­tant penalty for me on Vadaine Oliver not given which would have made it 2-0, and then a soft penalty, he couldn’t wait to give it.

“Some of the de­ci­sions these ref­er­ees make are putting pres­sure on peo­ple’s jobs, but they’ll be okay, they’ll sleep tonight. Again it’s a game we should have won, but there are so many pos­i­tives to take.”

Hat­ters boss John Still saw the in­ci­dent sur­round­ing Potts dif­fer­ently though and was be­mused that Penn wasn’t shown a card of any colour for his in­dis­cre­tion.

He said: “I was shocked be­cause he was run­ning through on goal and he gave a penalty for what looked to me like a clumsy chal­lenge.

“If that had hap­pened any­where else on the pitch that’s a yel­low card, but I’m not a ref­eree

“Our per­for­mance was scrappy. We gave away a re­ally poor were ahead on 37 min­utes when a deep free-kick into the box was knocked down and Keith Lowe di­verted his shot into the roof of the net.

Mack­ail-Smith made way at the break for Jack Mar­riott as Town started brightly, Josh McQuoid send­ing a ris­ing volley over the bar.

The Hat­ters were back in the game on 62 min­utes when Potts was felled in the area by Penn and McGee­han slammed home the spot-kick.

Flin­ders then made a su­perb tip over from Luke Wilkin­son’s point­blank header.

While in the clos­ing stages, it was York who came clos­est to a win­ner, Penn send­ing two pre­sentable chances wide of the mark as Lu­ton saw their four-game win­ning run in the league come to an end.

PIC­TURES: Gareth Owen

SPOT ON: Russ Penn, left, fouls Lu­ton’s Dan Potts for the Hat­ters’ dis­puted penalty SWING LOWE: Keith Lowe puts York in front goal and should have come in for me, worst ways, at 0-0 with­out play­ing par­tic­u­larly well.

“I said at half-time they will play on the counter at­tack, so we have to be pa­tient. We got the goal, but it ended 1-1 and I can’t re­ally com­plain about that.”

In a poor match, the hosts came close early on as McGee­han shot straight at Ross Flin­ders, while Craig Mack­ail-Smith struck wide from 15 yards.

Flin­ders man­aged to turn Luke Gut­tridge’s closerange at­tempt past the post, while York took 20 min­utes to register an ef­fort of note, Penn fir­ing over the bar.

Michael Coul­son was also off tar­get later in the half, but City STAR MAN OLLY LEE Lu­tonTown

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.