Burn­ley take the derby hon­ours with a 1-0 win at Black­burn

Clarets sneak it against ri­vals

The Football League Paper - - NEWS - By Colin Hen­rys

SMASH-AND-GRAB Burn­ley proved they can al­ways find ways to win, boss Sean Dy­che claimed af­ter their derby vic­tory at Black­burn.

Scott Ar­field’s sec­ond-half strike was enough to sep­a­rate the East Lan­cashire ri­vals de­spite Black­burn hav­ing had all the best chances.

Ar­field was the first man to breach the Black­burn defence at Ewood Park in more than eight hours of foot­ball, but Dy­che in­sists the curled shot into the top cor­ner de­served to win any game.

“This is a divi­sion where you have to find dif­fer­ent ways to win,” Dy­che said. “Credit to Black­burn, they’ve come at us, they’ve made a real game of it and they’ve had def­i­nitely the best chance of the game – if not two.

“But if there’s a goal wor­thy of win­ning any game, then that’s Scotty Ar­field’s.

“It’s a hard one as a man­ager. You know you want your team to re­main calm but their in­stinct to win the game in the derby is to drop a lit­tle bit, to stay solid and de­fend it out.

“It’s not our game plan – let’s be clear about that – but we had to do it, and that comes back to find­ing those dif­fer­ent ways to win.”

Rovers had made their in­ten­tions clear just ten min­utes in, when Jor­dan Rhodes got across his de­fender and volleyed just over from Mar­cus Ols­son’s cross.

Burn­ley wanted a penalty on 25 min­utes – which Dy­che in­sisted should have been given – when Grant Han­ley bun­dled Joey Bar­ton over in the area, but referee Keith Stroud ruled he had played the ball first.

Rovers went close to an opener just be­fore half-time, but Rhodes headed just inches wide from Craig Con­way’s right-footed cross on 44 min­utes.

The Scot­land striker then shot over again in first-half stop­page time, his ris­ing strike from 20 yards fail­ing to trou­ble Tom Heaton.

Black­burn should have been in front on 55 min­utes, Rhodes find­ing Tom Lawrence com­pletely un­marked in the mid­dle af­ter a clever one-two, but the lat­ter some­how blazed his shot over.

The chance buoyed the hosts though and Corry Evans’ low shot fizzed just wide from out­side the area on 59 min­utes.

Rhodes then went close again on 62 min­utes, rac­ing onto Ben Mar­shall’s long clear­ance and turn­ing Michael Keane, but his low shot was too close to Heaton who gath­ered at the sec­ond at­tempt.

Then, com­pletely against the run of play, Burn­ley were in front on 63 min­utes – Rovers’ fail­ure to clear a deep free-kick al­low­ing Ar­field to curl into the top cor­ner from 18 yards.

Con­way thought he had lev­elled on 82 min­utes when he cut in­side and un­leashed a ris­ing strike from 30 yards but, with Heaton beaten, the shot can­noned off the cross­bar.

Black­burn threw every­thing at the Clarets deep in stop­page time, but Heaton pro­duced a fine fin­ger­tip save to deny Shane Duffy on 93 min­utes and Burn­ley held on. De­spon­dent Rovers boss Gary Bowyer said: “It’s a game we shouldn’t have lost.

“The num­ber of chances we cre­ated, and the foot­ball we played – es­pe­cially in the sec­ond­half – we were dom­i­nant.

“And then we’ve been done by a sucker punch of a won­der goal. It’s dis­ap­point­ing, but in terms of the per­for­mance lev­els you can see we were the bet­ter team.

“But it comes to a stage where you have to turn that into win­ning foot­ball games.

“We need more ruth­less­ness, at both ends.We have to keep work­ing hard, and we just need some luck.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Images

EC­STATIC: Scott Ar­field cel­e­brates his win­ner with Michael Duff

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.