The Football League Paper - - FA CUP FIRST ROUND - By Bruce Archer

IAN Hen­don grilled his Ley­ton Ori­ent side for sloppy fin­ish­ing de­spite hit­ting Staines Town for six in the first round of the FA Cup.

The game kicked off at the Match­room Sta­dium with three tiers and 81 teams be­tween the two sides.

By full-time there were also five goals sep­a­rat­ing them.

The O’s, on the back of a mixed run in the league, blitzed the Non­League out­fit with three goals in­side a dizzy open­ing 13 min­utes.

Ol­lie Palmer and Dean Cox scored two each with former O’s de­fender Dar­ren Purse hit­ting back for the vis­i­tors be­fore late strikes from John Mar­quis and Sean Clo­hessy.

And de­spite the rout Hen­don called on his side to be more com­posed in front of goal.

“It was a good per­for­mance,” he said. “But I ac­tu­ally went in there and I felt we should have had more.

“We had some good chances sec­ond half to re­ally fin­ish the game off. No dis­re­spect to Staines, they’ve come and had a go, and credit to Nicky Forster and the team, but we just had a lit­tle bit too much.”

Hen­don made five changes, three forced, and while it didn’t halt their flu­ency Hen­don ad­mits he’s still look­ing to add to his squad.

“I had a meet­ing with the pres­i­dent,” he added. “We’ve dis­cussed it and we are look­ing.

“I’m not go­ing to say where po­si­tion-wise, but we are look­ing to get a cou­ple in if we can.”

Palmer headed in at the back post from Frazer Shaw’s dinked de­liv­ery af­ter just eight min­utes to open the scor­ing. Cox dou­bled the lead af­ter ten with a cool fin­ish into the bot­tom cor­ner from nine yards af­ter an­other Shaw cut-back.

Af­ter an­other 60 sec­onds Palmer made it three as he con­verted af­ter Blair Tur­gott’s long-range ef­fort was smoth­ered into his path.

Purse, 38, who started his ca­reer at Ori­ent, hooked the ball over Alex Cisak af­ter he’d flapped at a cor­ner to draw the loud­est cheer of the af­ter­noon.

How­ever, Cox then whipped in a free-kick from 28 yards to give Ori­ent four at half-time.

Mar­quis fi­nally made it five in the clos­ing min­utes with a com­posed fin­ish be­fore Clo­hessy scored in in­jury time to wrap things up.

“I don’t think there’s any shame in our per­for­mance but the gulf in qual­ity was there to see,” said Staines boss Nicky Forster.

“Cer­tainly the fin­ish­ing was su­pe­rior. We said we couldn’t win the game in the first 20 min­utes but cer­tainly can lose it – and to be three down af­ter 13 min­utes, as an event it was a moun­tain to climb. “That’s the only crit­i­cism, that we needed to weather that ini­tial pe­riod and get to grips with the oc­ca­sions, and we didn’t do that.

“That’s our first-choice mid­field. We could have changed it and bulked up the mid­dle and had de­fend­ers all over the pitch and come in neg­a­tively. "But if we’d have lost like that, then we’d have said why change the team that got us there.”


HEADS UP: Ol­lie Palmer opens the scor­ing for Ley­ton Ori­ent EASY: Ori­ent’s Ol­lie Palmer cel­e­brates the open­ing goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.