The Football League Paper - - FA CUP FIRST ROUND - By Adam Sim­mons

NEAL ARD­LEY la­belled his AFC Wim­ble­don side un­pro­fes­sional as they tum­bled out to Non-League For­est Green Rovers.

The club who took Liver­pool so close last sea­son were booted out at the first at­tempt as El­liott Frear stunned the League Two Dons in the third minute of time added on.

The game look des­tined for a re­play next Tues­day but the winger had other ideas to fire the Na­tional League lead­ers into the sec­ond round.

He cut in from the right and un­leashed a beauty on his left - just as his man­ager told him to min­utes ear­lier.

Wim­ble­don ini­tially lev­eled through Callum Kennedy’s sec­ond goal in two games, hav­ing gone be­hind when Dar­ren Carter made the most of Dan­nie Bul­man’s er­ror.

Ard­ley wasn’t happy his side made head­lines for the wrong rea­sons this sea­son and he said: “We were un­pro­fes­sional at key mo­ments.

“We came out re­ally anx­ious and in the sec­ond half we couldn’t get our game to­gether.

“There seemed such a good buzz about the place, I just don’t know what hap­pened to us.

“We found that baf­fling on the bench I have got to say.

“I’m gut­ted, re­ally gut­ted.We knew from last sea­son how good th­ese FA Cup runs are and the power of good they can do and now we’re out. I re­ally am gut­ted and I want to say sorry to the fans.

“The FA Cup does this to you, but a lack of pro­fes­sion­al­ism cost us more than any­thing. At both ends of the pitch we were lack­ing.”

The up­set looked on from the sixth minute. Bul­man, the last per­son you would ex­pect to go to pieces in his own box, un­rav­elled. Keanu Marsh-Brown played in Carter and the former Birm­ing­ham City man was de­ci­sive.

So was Kennedy, the Dons left back shunted into mid­field af­ter in­juries to other wingers. Af­ter cap­tain Barry Fuller and Lyle Tay­lor com­bined, Kennedy thrashed his shot in off the cross­bar, too much power for Steve Arnold. Given too much time, but you couldn’t ar­gue with the qual­ity of his fin­ish.

Panic over? No way. Wim­ble­don wouldn’t awaken and in the sec­ond half they just couldn’t get out of sec­ond gear.

Frear pun­ished them with sec­onds left on the clock - just like his boss told him to.

For­est Green man­ager Ady Pen­nock said: “I told El­liott with five min­utes to go to get the ball, cut in, have a go and get a goal - I told him if he did that, he’ll be on the telly tonight.

“I did tell him top cor­ner, so he didn’t quite get that bit right! “It looked like it may be a re­play but he’s come up with the goods and it’s a won­der­ful win for us. We were dis­ci­plined and de­fended well. We’re de­lighted.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Images

GET CARTER: For­est Green’s Dar­ren Carter cel­e­brates scor­ing their first goal

TOP DOGS: Scor­ers El­liott Frear and Dar­ren Carter



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.