Hope last­gasp deal sees Curle progress

The Football League Paper - - FA CUP FIRST ROUND - By Matt Bam­sey

KEITH Curle paid trib­ute to the club’s ad­min­is­tra­tion staff af­ter Carlisle’s pas­sage was sealed thanks to a late deal to al­low Hal­lam Hope to play.

The striker, 21, was poised to miss the clash with League Two ta­ble-top­pers Ar­gyle un­der the terms of his one-month loan deal with Bury.

But the Shak­ers had a change of heart and Hope struck on the stroke of half­time to send the 176 vis­it­ing fans into delir­ium

Ear­lier, Antony Sweeney pro­duced a stun­ning over­head kick to put the vis­i­tors in front.

Blues boss Curle said: “We had a num­ber of con­ver­sa­tions with Bury and it was touch and go whether he would be al­lowed to play.

“There was con­stant phone calls and fill­ing out pa­per­work to get the deal done and over the line.

“It was nail-bit­ing stuff but I got a text late on Fri­day night to say that he was okay to play.

“Thank­fully all the hard work that the club put in, par­tic­u­larly the foot­ball sec­re­tary, paid off.

“Ply­mouth are rightly top of the league but we caused them real prob­lems and we got that lit­tle bit of luck at the right time.

“We were solid, pro­fes­sional, showed good game man­age­ment with an eye still on want­ing to play foot­ball.”

Cur­tis Nel­son came close to giv­ing Ar­gyle the lead with a header that shaved the out­side of the post.

But Carlisle took the lead on 23 min­utes when Sweeney con­jured a touch of the sub­lime from the edge of the six-yard box.

The vis­i­tors, who were forced to make the 780mile round trip for the sec­ond time this sea­son, dou­bled their lead four min­utes be­fore the break af­ter Gary Dicker’s su­perb pass over the top sent Asamoah rac­ing clear.

Luke McCormick saved at the striker’s feet but the ball fell into the path of Hope and he bun­dled home from close range.

Ar­gyle strug­gled to muster a re­sponse in the sec­ond half and even this sea­son’s star Gra­ham Carey was off tar­get af­ter drag­ging a limp ef­fort wide.

Lone striker Derek Asamoah, whose pace caused Ar­gyle prob­lems all af­ter­noon, wasted a chance to put the gloss on the score­line af­ter Josh Simp­son gave away pos­ses­sion cheaply, only for the Blues dan­ger­man to lash the ball wide.

The de­feat was only Ar­gyle’s sec­ond in their last 12 games and boss Derek Adams ad­mit­ted: “It was a tough match and they made it a dif­fi­cult for us.

“I am not go­ing to make any ex­cuses.We have gone out of the cup and Carlisle did a very good job.

“We didn’t cre­ate any chances it wasn’t the best game of foot­ball in the world.

“Carlisle to be fair to them, they got the two-goal lead and were able to hang on to it.We didn’t put them un­der any pres­sure.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.