The Football League Paper - - FA CUP FIRST ROUND - By Jon Palmer

RON­NIE Moore ad­mit­ted Hartle­pool United rode their luck as they over­came Chel­tenham to make FA Cup progress thanks to Kudus Oyenuga’s first goal for the club.

Left-winger Oyenuga struck in first-half stop­page time and it proved to be enough to sink the Na­tional League Robins, who will won­der how they failed to score hav­ing con­trolled much of the game.

A com­bi­na­tion of waste­ful fin­ish­ing and out­stand­ing goal­keep­ing from ex-Chel­tenham stop­per Trevor Car­son saw the League Two club avoid an up­set at Vic­to­ria Park.

“It was a bat­tle and we knew it would be tough, but we never got go­ing from start to fin­ish,” Moore said.

“We’ve played bet­ter and lost, but you take the win and we had so much luck in the game, some­thing we’ve not had lately and let’s hope this is the kick up the back­side we need to win league games.

“Our keeper is mak­ing too many saves.

“You wouldn’t be­lieve how much work we do on pos­ses­sion, but we didn’t do it.

“We kicked it away and hung on.

“The back four earned the clean sheet, Trevor was fan­tas­tic and he should not have to make that many saves.

“We are in the draw, how, I don’t know. We have a lot of work to do and we aren’t daft and the sup­port­ers aren’t daft.”

Chel­tenham bos Gary John­son, mean­while, was hugely dis­ap­pointed to see his side beaten as they spurned chance af­ter chance in the sec­ond half but failed to beat their former num­ber one.

“In the last ten min­utes we gave it every­thing, but it was a winnable game and I am dis­ap­pointed we haven’t won it,” John­son said.

“We weren’t clin­i­cal enough in their penalty area. We had plenty of chances, but we lost it in the first half when we wanted to play, but we weren’t get­ting in among them.

“We didn’t cre­ate enough or show enough in­tent then. We showed more in­tent in the sec­ond half, but it was too late and I ended up hav­ing to move play­ers around.

“That got us the op­por­tuni- ty to nearly win the game, but I am gut­ted we’re out of the cup be­cause we shouldn’t be.

“I am re­ally dis­ap­pointed with the lads.

“It was a big game and we did put the ef­fort in, but I need to see more men­tal tough­ness and bet­ter fi­nal balls if they are go­ing to make good ca­reers in the game.”

The all-im­por­tant goal came when Nicky Featherstone and Kyle Storer went into a chal­lenge on the edge of the box. Af­ter a scram­ble, Rak­ish Bing­ham slid the ball into the path of Oyenuga, who fired past Dil­lon Phillips.

Billy Wa­ters missed from a good po­si­tion with a header be­fore Car­son made a re­mark­able re­ac­tion save to keep out Harry Pell’s shot from point-blank range.

Chel­tenham hit the wood­work when Lee Vaughan flicked Rob Dickie’s ef­fort the bar sec­onds be­fore the fi­nal whis­tle sounded and the Robins’ fate was sealed.

PIC­TURES: Pro Sport

RE­PELLED: Harry Pell is held off by Kudus Oyenuga. In­set, Billy Wa­ters forces a save from Trevor Car­son



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.