King Conor leaves Iron cold with hat-trick

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Andy Cooke

CONOR Wash­ing­ton hit a first Foot­ball League hat­trick as free-scor­ing Peter­bor­ough United pum­meled Scun­thorpe United on their own patch to the de­light of boss Gra­ham West­ley.

The striker’s im­pres­sive tre­ble, a con­coc­tion of fine fin­ishes and op­por­tunism, was the high­light of this fifth suc­ces­sive vic­tory for ever-im­prov­ing Posh.

Michael Bost­wick also got on the score­sheet but there was no deny­ing who the star of the show was.

West­ley said: “Conor showed great courage with his first goal and has some good at­tack­ing habits. It was great to see him be clin­i­cal with his fin­ish­ing. All the play­ers are won­der­ful char­ac­ters. There are no in­di­vid­u­als and it’s a won­der­ful place to work.

“The job we’ve got is to keep get­ting bet­ter as a foot­ball team and a club.

“The play­ers are tak­ing on a lot of de­fen­sive mes­sages, so I was de­lighted to come away with a clean sheet.We worked very hard and we were smart in the way we de­fended.

“Scun­thorpe are ca­pa­ble of get­ting re­sults so it was a clean sheet I en­joyed. In terms of our for­ward play, with the qual­ity we’ve got in the team, and the con­fi­dence and com­po­sure, we were fab­u­lous in patches.”

Wash­ing­ton opened the scor­ing in the fourth minute, head­ing into an empty net af­ter Scun­thorpe keeper Luke Daniels had mis­judged the flight on a spec­u­la­tive ball in from the right.The goal came af­ter a bright start for the home side, but apart from when Dar­ius Hen­der­son headed wide in the 19th minute, the Iron did not threaten to get any­thing back.

Twice in the first half Daniels thwarted lively mid­fielder Harry Beautyman as Posh got a grip on the game, though they had to wait un­til the sec­ond half to dou­ble their lead, Bost­wick blast­ing home af­ter Hen­der­son was pe­nalised for hack­ing down Erhun Oz­tumer. Three points were al­ready in the bag when Wash­ing­ton strode through the mid­dle of the park and curled home in the 87th minute.

And he com­pleted an im­pres­sive af­ter­noon’s work in stop­page time by rolling home from in­side the penalty area.

“There were prob­a­bly three min­utes of de­cent foot­ball from us, but the rest of it was chas­ing around, try­ing to stop them from play­ing,” said Iron boss Mark Robins.

“We started off brightly enough and I thought we cre­ated a few open­ings but then we stag­nated a lit­tle bit, Peter­bor­ough found their rhythm and we be­came fear­ful.

“We have to be bet­ter or­gan­ised de­fen­sively and to do that you’ve got to talk. There is plenty of talk­ing in the dress­ing room and around the place but on the pitch we need a bit more of it.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.