The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Ed Langford

PAUL COOK has been in foot­ball too long to know that you’ve never got the game sussed and he was re­lieved to es­cape Wy­combe with a point af­ter be­ing 2-0 down af­ter just 30 min­utes.

Portsmouth had put six past York on Tues­day night but quickly found them­selves up against it at Adams Park as Michael Har­ri­man’s stun­ning 40yarder and then Garry Thomp­son gave the Chair­boys a two-goal cush­ion on home soil.

But Caolan Lav­ery’s tap-in dur­ing first-half in­jury time and Adam Web­ster’s header be­fore the hour mark lev­elled the game up as Pom­pey fi­nally kicked into gear.

Both sides had chances to win it but Cook ad­mit­ted a draw was a fair re­sult af­ter his side’s night­mare start.

“We couldn’t have played much worse at the start,” said Cook.

“We prob­a­bly thought we were a lit­tle bit bet­ter than what we are and would come and dom­i­nate the ball on a nice day out in front of 2,000 away fans.

“We were in dan­ger of be­ing blown away at times in the first half be­cause of our slop­pi­ness but great credit to the play­ers that they’ve dug them­selves out of the hole.

“We’ve won by six on Tues­day and all of a sud­den you’ve cracked it – well you’ve never cracked it in foot­ball and the day you think that, you find your­self where we were to­day com­ing up to half time.”

Wy­combe were well on top through­out the first half and led on 28 min­utes when Har­ri­man lifted the ball into an empty net from 40 yards fol­low­ing Brian Mur­phy’s poor clear­ance from out­side his area.

The winger then turned provider two min­utes later, cross­ing for Thomp­son who slid in to score his 100th ca­reer league goal.

But Lav­ery brought Pom­pey back into the game on the stroke of half-time, tap­ping in Marc McNulty’s squared pass for a timely life­line.

And it was all-square just af­ter the break as Web­ster climbed high­est to head in Ben Davies’ 56th-minute cor­ner.

Matt In­gram par­ried away Davies’ free-kick late on as the visi­tors looked to com­plete the come­back but Wy­combe held firm for a bat­tling point.

De­spite throw­ing away the two-goal ad­van­tage, Gareth Ainsworth knew his side had matched one of the league’s best teams and of­fered no prizes for guess­ing the goal of the day from Har­ri­man.

“Michael’s first touch has set that goal up and it’s a great fin­ish from a spe­cial player,” said Ainsworth.

“I thought he was out­stand­ing and his en­ergy level for a loan player is ridicu­lous.

“He’s a real as­set to us and is show­ing us what he can do ev­ery week.

“I’m not con­tent with the point and I’d have loved the three.

“In the first half we took the big­gest team in the league right to the edge and then some.

“But they came at us in the sec­ond half and have done great to get back into the game from 2-0.”

PIC­TURES: Prime Me­dia Im­ages


Wy­combe PLAY UP: Portsmouth’s Caolan Lav­ery car­ries the ball back af­ter making it 2-1 and Wy­combe’s Matt In­gram makes a late save, inset

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.