Wag­ner fumes at pen that got away

The Football League Paper - - FA CUP THIRD ROUND - By Liam Cole­man

HUD­DER­S­FIELD boss David Wag­ner was left frus­trated by ref­eree Jeremy Simp­son af­ter Nahki Wells was de­nied a se­cond-half penalty be­fore pro­duc­ing a last­minute equaliser against Read­ing.

Wells saved the day in the 92nd minute as the Ter­ri­ers earned a re­play af­ter a thrilling se­cond half at the John Smith’s Sta­dium.

Jamie Pater­son had opened the scor­ing for Hud­der­s­field be­fore Wells was booked for div­ing af­ter go­ing down as he rounded Ali AlHabsi. Read­ing then turned things around through Matej Vy­dra and Hal Rob­sonKanu, but Wells scored from the spot at the death to earn the draw.

Wag­ner said: “I’m wor­ried that af­ter such a great game that the first ques­tion is about the ref­eree, and it shows that some­thing went wrong in the game. I thought that the first Wells chal­lenge was a penalty but the ref­eree had a bet­ter view than me.

“I’m very sat­is­fied with our per­for­mance, we were the bet­ter team through­out and apart from the ten min­utes where we strug­gled and con­ceded two goals I thought we re­acted to the pres­sure well, we cre­ated chances and we dom­i­nated the game. It was the per­fect game un­til we didn’t get the penalty, and we have to ac­cept the re­sult but I didn’t think it was fair be­cause we were the bet­ter team.”

In a re­peat of last year’s third round draw, Brian McDer­mott’s side were look­ing to find the form that 12 months ago took them to an FA Cup semi­fi­nal against Arse­nal.

Af­ter a quiet first half Hud­der­s­field broke the dead­lock in the 57th minute when Pater­son headed David­son’s per­fect cross past Al-Habsi.

Four min­utes af­ter Wells’ book­ing,Wat­ford loa­nee Vy­dra brought the vis­i­tors level when his de­flected shot looped over Joe Mur­phy and into the Hud­der­s­field goal and with three min­utes to go Rob­sonKanu made no mis­take and scored what looked like the win­ner, link­ing up with sub­sti­tute Lu­cas Pi­a­zon be­fore slot­ting home.

But Wells was the hero when he fired the Ter­ri­ers level with a stop­page-time penalty af­ter Harry Bunn was brought down in the area to earn Hud­der­s­field a se­cond chance.

McDer­mott dis­agreed with Wag­ner’s as­sess­ment and said:“If you’re 2-1 up with five min­utes to go, and you look at the way the game went then you have to take the draw, be­cause it quite eas­ily could have gone ei­ther way.

“I think the ref­eree has got it right with the first penalty ap­peal against Al-Habsi, and that he’s got it right with their penalty at the end but I think that we should have had a penalty when Vy­dra was pushed in the back.”

STAR MAN NAHKI WELLS Hud­der­s­field

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.