Red-hot Madden makes the Iron steam

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Andy Cooke

SCUN­THORPE ended a tur­bu­lent week with a crush­ing vic­tory over Colch­ester, scor­ing three goals in nine se­cond-half min­utes.

Paddy Madden net­ted twice shortly af­ter Tom Hop­per had put the Iron in front in what was Scun­thorpe’s first out­ing since sack­ing boss Mark Robins at the start of the week.

In the end they were good value for the vic­tory, but had ini­tially found it tough dur­ing a first half in which the strug­gling U’s, whose search for a league win is now three months old, had ap­plied a lot of pres­sure with­out re­ally look­ing like scor­ing.

Coach Andy Daw­son, shar­ing care­tak­er­man­ager du­ties with Nick Daws, ad­mit­ted the Iron had made a nervy start.

“We had the bad news (Robins’ exit) on Mon­day but ev­ery­thing we’ve done since has been about plan­ning for this,” he said. “We dis­cussed what we wanted the play­ers to do to give them the con­fi­dence to go out and show their abil­ity.

“First half it maybe wasn’t as neat and tidy as we’d have liked.We looked a lit­tle bit anx­ious and it was a bit 100 miles per hour, but we stayed in the game and se­cond half we ex­e­cuted ex­actly what we’d been try­ing to set up all week.

“The first goal made a big dif­fer­ence. It gave us a bit more free­dom and the play­ers re­laxed and did what we ex­pected and have asked of them all week. They fully de­served what they got in the end.”

Scun­thorpe were sloppy and of­fered lit­tle threat when they did reach the fi­nal third in that open­ing 45 min­utes.

But they were much bet­ter af­ter the break and never looked back af­ter Hop­per marked his re­turn from a dis­lo­cated shoul­der by stab­bing in a lovely low cross from full-back Conor Townsend on the hour.

Colch­ester buck­led. Soon af­ter Hop­per’s ef­fort, Madden had hooked the ball in via the un­der­side of the bar and in the 69th minute he found the bot­tom cor­ner with a stylish turn and fin­ish.

Colch­ester boss Kevin Keen ac­cused his side of be­ing “frag­ile” and was par­tic­u­larly un­happy with the speed at which they were dis­man­tled.

“We didn’t get go­ing in the se­cond half, which is a very fa­mil­iar story,” he said.

“We played quite well in the first half, but didn’t take our chances and paid for it. They were bet­ter than us in the se­cond half and that’s dis­ap­point­ing. They stepped it up and de­fen­sively we made mis­takes, which cost us.

“I was dis­ap­pointed with the way we went one, two, three down very, very quickly. I thought I’d erad­i­cated that but ob­vi­ously not.”

PIC­TURES: Will Kil­patrick


RIOU Wal­sal

l MATCH OF THE JAY: Ja­son Demetriou cel­e­brates his goal af­ter putting Wal­sall 1-0 and, in­set, Black­pool play­ers wheel away af­ter their late equaliser from Danny Philliskirk


END Scunth


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.