Curle left frus­trated by re­turn to Brun­ton

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Ryan Gray

CARLISLE man­ager Keith Curle was left frus­trated af­ter con­ced­ing a late equaliser against York City on their re­turn to Brun­ton Park.

Fol­low­ing the ef­fects of Storm Des­mond, Carlisle have been play­ing their home games around the North West but made a fly­ing start on their re­turn home with a goal from Ja­son Kennedy af­ter just 15 min­utes.

But that was can­celled out by Luke Sum­mer­field’s goal three min­utes from time and Curle has urged his team to im­prove their con­cen­tra­tion if they are to im­prove.

“I’ve just told the play­ers that we were mas­sively frus­trated with that, de­spite there be­ing el­e­ments of the game that we were pleased with,” said Curle.

“We need to stop con­ced­ing goals, if we don’t, we aren’t go­ing to progress the way that we want to.

“We did cre­ate good chances and we nul­li­fied them to only two chances in the se­cond half, but un­for­tu­nately one of them goes in.

“The se­cond goal would have been cru­cial and we could’ve en­joyed the af­ter­noon.

“As it was, there was al­ways that ner­vous­ness about us at 1-0 - es­pe­cially play­ing against a side fight­ing for their lives - so there’s still plenty of things we need to work on.”

The first half went as ex­pected, with Carlisle look­ing com­fort­able from the early stages, cre­at­ing the first chance of the game with only five min­utes on the clock.

A free-kick punted for­ward from the half­way line was met well by the head of Mark El­lis, but Scott Flin­ders man­aged to quickly get down to his right.

How­ever, with 15 min­utes played, the pres­sure told when Kennedy found a way through to put Carlisle 1-0 up. Kennedy picked the ball up on the edge of the box, weaved through a cou­ple of chal­lenges and calmly fin­ished past Flin­ders. Carlisle should have gone into the break two goals up. Derek Asamoah made a jink­ing run into the box from the left, be­fore he whipped a ball across the six­yard box, but Jabo Ibehre couldn’t fin­ish from close range. De­spite dom­i­nat­ing the se­cond half, Carlisle were made to pay for their profli­gacy when Kenny McEvoy fired a rare strike against the upright, and the ball re­bounded to Sum­mer­field who shot home.

York boss Jackie Macnamara: “I’m de­lighted with the draw in the end.

“I think our play­ers and the changes we made in the se­cond half changed things com­pletely and had the game gone on any longer and we would’ve won the game.

“At half-time I told them to be­lieve and to do things quicker and they came out the bet­ter of the two sides, I think.”


DY Carlisle

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.