Ref­eree is rapped by in­censed Press­ley

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Jay Smith

FLEET­WOOD boss Steven Press­ley slammed ref­eree Carl Boye­son af­ter claim­ing he told goal­keeper Chris Maxwell that it was ‘his own fault’ for hav­ing an ob­ject thrown at him from the crowd.

Boye­son awarded a stop­page-time penalty to the Blades, min­utes af­ter send­ing off Fleet­wood sub­sti­tute Nick Haughton, which Che Adams slot­ted home to seal a point for the York­shire out­fit.

How­ever, con­tro­versy set in mo­ments be­fore the penalty – lead­ing to the al­leged re­sponse from ref­eree Boye­son.

A fu­ri­ous Press­ley said: “Our goal­keeper was hit with an ob­ject in the last minute of the game and he has a cut above his eye. The re­sponse from the ref­eree to Chris was that it was his own fault.

“You can­not con­done any type of com­ment from any of­fi­cial like that.We will make sure we will re­port that type of com­ment to the ap­pro­pri­ate gov­ern­ing body.

“It is com­pletely un­ac­cept­able and the ref­eree’s com­ments were not heard just by Chris Maxwell, his com­ments were heard by an­other wit­ness.

“It could have taken his eye out.”

Af­ter a slow start at High­bury Sta­dium, the con­test sprang into life just be­fore the half-hour mark with two goals in 80 sec­onds.

United, who had lost their last two league games, took the lead through Matty Done as his cross de­flected off de­fender Mar­cus Nils­son.

Sec­onds later, striker Ash­ley Hunter di­rected a bul­let header from point­blank range af­ter a per­fect de­liv­ery from Vic­tor Niren­nold.

By the hour mark, Fleet­wood were on track for their third win in seven days, as Nils­son turned from vil­lain to hero by head­ing home Jimmy Ryan’s free-kick.

But all the drama came in the fi­nal ten min­utes, as Fleet­wood sub Haughton was dis­missed for two quick-fire yel­low cards. And then a stop­page­time foul from Amari’i Bell on Ryan Flynn led to the Blades’ penalty, which was coolly con­verted by Adams.

The Blades could then have nicked it through John Bray­ford, but Boye­son ruled Maxwell was fouled in the buildup – leav­ing an­other man­ager fum­ing.

“We’ve dom­i­nated the game, we’ve re­sponded re­ally well, cre­ated plenty of chances,” said Nigel Ad­kins. “Say­ing that, the two goals we con­ceded were shock­ing, just sim­ple balls from out wide. But we’ve played some good foot­ball; we’ve had two cleared off the line.

“John Bray­ford’s goal at the end is a clear goal and the ref­eree gives a free­kick and it’s not. It’s an­noy­ing be­cause we’ve played some good foot­ball, cre­ated lots of chances and only come away with a point.”


R Fleetwo


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.