Miller just in time to deny Reds a vic­tory

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By War­ren Lucy

MORE­CAMBE man­ager Jim Bent­ley ad­mit­ted he would have been gut­ted had his side re­turned to Lan­cashire with noth­ing to show for their ef­forts af­ter draw­ing with Craw­ley Town.

Shaun Miller popped up against his old side with seven min­utes to play to grab a point for the Shrimps.

Matt Har­rold had given the hosts the lead early in the se­cond half but Bent­ley felt his side de­served some­thing from the game.

“It was a very dif­fi­cult side on a very dif­fi­cult pitch” Bent­ley said.

“Matt Har­rold has been around the block and is a good tar­get man, and it was a bat­tle at times as we tried to play some foot­ball on that pitch but I think over­all it’s a fair point. I would have been gut­ted with a 1-0 de­feat.

“Some of our set­pieces caused them prob­lems. Alex Kenyon had a cou­ple cleared off the line and we looked a threat.

“Se­cond half, with the wind be­hind them, they banged it into the box and we found it hard to get out for spells be­fore shift­ing the for­ma­tion slightly, end­ing up get­ting the goal from a set play.”

In a lack­lus­tre first half, the home side had the bet­ter of it, with Har­rold see­ing his header saved by More­cambe ‘keeper Barry Roche, be­fore Kenyon had an at­tempt hacked off the line by John Ash­ton.

Shrimps striker Miller was next to try his luck but saw his dip­ping vol­ley de­flect just wide of Paul Jones’ left-hand post.

Craw­ley duo Shamir Fenelon and Lyle Del­laVerde then both had chances to break the dead­lock to­wards the end of the half.

At the other end, Luke Con­lon forced Jones to beat away a pow­er­ful ef­fort as More­cambe went into the in­ter­val the stronger.

But af­ter the break it was Har­rold who gave the Reds the lead with an ac­cu­rate first-time fin­ish into Roche's bot­tom right­hand cor­ner af­ter Del­laVerde’s low cross was cleared to him just in­side the box.

Kevin El­li­son fired a free-kick over the bar as time ticked on be­fore exCraw­ley loa­nee Miller stabbed home from close range. And man­ager Mark Yates was left to rue Craw­ley’s missed chances in the open­ing 45 min­utes of the match.

“We dealt with their threat un­til the one chance late on,” the Craw­ley boss said.

“We couldn’t hang on and I think we maybe lacked that cut­ting edge a lit­tle bit.

“Chances were few and far be­tween if we are be­ing hon­est but I think we got bet­ter as the game went on.

“Chris Atkin­son will go back to Crewe now which frees up a loan spot. I want a striker and it's a po­si­tion we are look­ing at.”



RLAND Crawle


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.