The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Mike Sim­monds

NATHAN Jones de­clared Lu­ton Town’s per­for­mance out­stand­ing de­spite watch­ing them fall to de­feat at home to Craw­ley Town.

The Hat­ters boss felt his side dom­i­nated through­out but Craw­ley ended a week in which they were suc­cess­fully taken over by Turk­ish busi­ness­man Ziya Eren with vic­tory.

Matt Har­rold’s early strike, his third goal against Lu­ton this sea­son, sealed it but Jonathan Smith and Paul Ben­son both hit the wood­work to frus­trate the hosts.

“Per­for­mance-wise, I thought we were out­stand­ing,” said Jones.

“The way we moved the ball, the way we cre­ated, the amount of chances, op­por­tu­ni­ties, pos­ses­sion we had, was enough to win two or three games. But we didn’t.

“Credit to Craw­ley, they had one chance and took it and then showed a real re­silience to de­fend and grind out a re­sult.

“I’m happy with how we played, that’s as dom­i­nant a game you’re likely to see at this level, re­gard­less of the score. I’m just bit­terly dis­ap­pointed that we didn’t con­vert that into three points, be­cause if we had won that it would have been a won­der­ful, won­der­ful per­for­mance and a won­der­ful, won­der­ful day for Lu­ton Town.”

The Hat­ters dom­i­nated dur­ing the first ten min­utes, with Smith’s 20-yarder hit­ting the base of the post.

But the Red Devils led with their first ef­fort on goal, Har­rold clin­i­cally net­ting an eighth of the sea­son.

Craig Mack­ail-Smith di­verted Stephen O’Don­nell’s low cross over the top as Lu­ton looked for an im­me­di­ate re­sponse, be­fore the vis­i­tors looked to nab a se­cond, Gwion Ed­wards low shot, not miss­ing the bot­tom cor­ner by much.

That saw Craw­ley have their best pe­riod of play, Scott Cuth­bert pro­duc­ing a su­perb goal-sav­ing chal­lenge on Liam McAlin­den.

The se­cond half brought con­tin­ued pres­sure by the hosts, with penalty shouts for both Jack Mar­riott and sub Joe Pig­ott.

Dan Potts’ shot then drew a fine save from Jones, with O’Don­nell’s re­bound cleared off the line by Lanre Oye­banjo.

Sub Paul Ben­son then put a free header against the bar from close range as Lu­ton were beaten.

Craw­ley boss Mark Yates though felt his side were de­serv­ing of their vic­tory.

He said:“I thought we were great. How many shots has Paul Jones saved? Maybe two or three in the game.

“They’re a good side, they’ve got a big squad, high ex­pec­ta­tions here, won the last four and we’ve done the dou­ble over them.

“We worked that hard that we de­served the lit­tle bit of luck with the one that crashed on to the bar. “Balls have flashed across our box, but we de­fended it, had the de­sire to not let ball in the net, the de­sire to win the first ball.

“Yes they over­loaded us in the wide ar­eas at times, but we were su­perb and stood re­ally strong. “We al­ways car­ried a threat, and apart from the one that hit the bar, we had the three best chances of the game, so we were well worth our win.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.