The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Ed­die Cur­wen

CH­ESTER­FIELD and Fleet­wood Town both edged a point closer to safety fol­low­ing their goal­less draw at the Proact Sta­dium.

In a tightly-fought con­test, both teams cre­ated lit­tle in the fi­nal third, with the best chance of the game fall­ing to Jay O’Shea at the end of the first half, but the mid­fielder fired over af­ter go­ing clean through on goal.

Both Danny Wil­son and Steven Press­ley were con­tent with a point, but felt that their own team could have claimed all three in their fight against rel­e­ga­tion to League Two.

“It was an anx­ious game and a bit ten­ta­tive at times,” ad­mit­ted Ch­ester­field boss Wil­son.

“It is some­thing you would ex­pect from two teams that know the value of three points at this stage of the sea­son.

“Both teams wanted to win but they also didn’t want to lose. The dis­ap­point­ing as­pect is that we didn’t work the Fleet­wood goal­keeper with the chances that we had.

“A bit of anx­i­ety and ten­sion may have crept into our play.

“It is our first clean sheet for a while and we have not had enough of those.

“Fleet­wood have some very good play­ers but we kept our dis­ci­pline and re­stricted them to a cou­ple of ef­forts that whis­tled past the post.”

Fleet­wood, who were look­ing to stop the rot of three straight league de­feats, made five changes from their loss against Barns­ley.

One of those fresh faces, Tyler Forbes, had an im­me­di­ate im­pact at both ends of the field, pre­vent­ing O’Shea with a goal-sav­ing tackle, and play­ing an inch-per­fect pass for Ash Hunter to tee up Amari’i Bell who fired wide.

A quiet first half sprang to life in the fi­nal ten min­utes as David Ball missed a glo­ri­ous op­por­tu­nity from point-blank range as he failed to con­nect with Hunter’s in­swing­ing cross from the right.

The game’s best chance fell in the dy­ing em­bers of the first half as Spire­ites No.10 O’Shea took ad­van­tage of Mar­cus Nils­son’s slip to go through on goal but curled over Chris Maxwell’s cross­bar.

Fleet­wood started the sec­ond half on the front foot, as Everton loa­nee David He­nen and Forbes both wit­nessed 20yard strikes just miss the tar­get.

Ch­ester­field, perched just above Fleet­wood in the stand­ings, could have found an open­ing goal of their own just be­fore the hour mark, dan­ger­man O’Shea once more ham­mer­ing over from just inside the penalty area.

In the fi­nal ten min­utes, both teams missed op­por­tu­ni­ties through Hunter and Lee No­vak, but nei­ther side could find that cutting edge.

Fleet­wood Town man­ager Press­ley: “I’m frus­trated be­cause in our situation it’s very easy to be­come a per­cent­age team and we showed great brav­ery here and kept play­ing.

“Dur­ing the per­for­mance we cre­ated some un­be­liev­able mo­ments but our fi­nal shot and fi­nal de­ci­sion let us down. When you look at our line-up it wasn’t a line-up to come here and sit in. It was line-up to win the game.

“At this stage of the sea­son we have to win games and be re­ally, re­ally pos­i­tive in our play, and we were that but it was just the fi­nal mo­ment.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Images

TUS­SLE: Ch­ester­field’s Liam O'Neil, left, in ac­tion with Fleet­wood’s David He­nen



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.