Coul­son’s late show can’t ease York pain

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Nic Marko

YORK City man­ager Jackie McNa­mara was frus­trated his side could only pick up a point against Craw­ley in their quest for Football League sur­vival.

Matt Har­rold gave Craw­ley an early lead, be­fore York equalised through a Luke Sum­mer­field penalty af­ter great play by Lewis Alessan­dra.

Craw­ley re­gained the lead thanks to Liam McAlin­den, be­fore sub­sti­tute Michael Coul­son se­cured the Min­ster­men a point, but McNa­mara felt it should have been more.

“It’s two points dropped we should have won that, like the last home game,” he said.

“Chances wise I think we’re go­ing for­ward, in terms of nor­mal play and open play they didn’t cause us any prob­lems.

“We lost two very poor goals. From a free-kick and long ball up that has a bit of in­de­ci­sion, and then the sec­ond one from the long throw-in shouldn’t hap­pen.

“We put in so much hard work, which has come un­done. I don’t think Scott [Flin­ders] had a save to make the en­tire match, and that’s the most frus­trat­ing thing.”

The Min­ster­men started poorly, and fell be­hind when they failed to deal with a Si­mon Wal­ton free­kick into the box, which al­lowed Har­rold to lob the stranded goal­keeper.

York hit back on the half-hour mark when Sum­mer­field sent the goal­keeper the wrong way from the penalty spot af­ter Alessan­dra was fouled fol­low­ing some skil­ful drib­bling.

Craw­ley started the sec­ond half as they did the first, and re­gained their lead fol­low­ing a left­footed fin­ish across the keeper by McAlin­den, af­ter an Andy Bond long throw.

The Min­ster­men al­most hit back im­me­di­ately, but Cal­lum Pre­ston pro­duced an in­cred­i­ble save to deny Sum­mer­field’s close-range vol­ley.

How­ever Pre­ston was help­less when sub­sti­tute Coul­son equalised for the hosts with a beau­ti­ful curled right­footed shot into the top-right cor­ner.

Both teams pushed for a win­ner late-on with­out creat­ing any clear-cut chances, mean­ing the game ended as a draw, ex­tend­ing Craw­ley’s un­beaten run to five games.

“I thought we started great, we were on top, I thought we looked strong and we were caus­ing them prob­lems,” Craw­ley man­ager Mark Yates said.

“The only com­plaint I have from the whole game re­ally is that we didn’t keep our foot on the pedal.

“We had them, they looked ner­vous, and I can un­der­stand that with the situation they’re in. But we just al­lowed them to edge their way back into the game.

“We could eas­ily be talk­ing about an away win and three points but I think all in all it’s fair.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.