Cum­bri­ans ready for Gas test, says Curle

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Chris Spit­tles

DRAW­ING a blank against lowly Yeovil might not be the best prepa­ra­tion to take on in-form Bris­tol Rovers, but Carlisle boss Keith Curle is ready to give the Gas a run for their money.

United re­mained six points adrift of sev­enth place af­ter fail­ing to break down a re­silient Glovers side.

Sub­sti­tute Jabo Ibehre wasted Carlisle’s best chance, head­ing wide from Tom Miller’s long throw, but the visi­tors lacked qual­ity and cre­ativ­ity in at­tack.

De­spite that, Curle still be­lieves his side can trou­ble the divi­sion’s best as they pre­pare to take on in-form Bris­tol Rovers on Mon­day.

He said: “We’ll give them a good game, like we will do any­one that we face.

“We’re al­ways con­fi­dent that we can get a re­sult.

“We weren’t trou­bled by Yeovil at all here.

“My goal­keeper didn’t have a save to make in 94 min­utes, they didn’t have any threat.

“We just lacked qual­ity in for­ward ar­eas. And when­ever we got the ball into their box, the ref­eree blew up for a foul which was a cause of frus­tra­tion.

“But over­all we didn’t keep hold of the ball well enough and when we got into good po­si­tions we didn’t de­liver the qual­ity we needed. It’s still a point away from home though.”

Yeovil edged to­wards League Two sur­vival with a draw that main­tains an 11-point buf­fer be­tween the Glovers and the rel­e­ga­tion zone.

And boss Darren Way said:“It wasn’t a great game to watch but we know the way Carlisle play.

“It’s a di­rect game and we had to com­bat that.

“We had to stand up to the phys­i­cal chal­lenge and we did that.

“The play­ers kept battling and I think it’s a good point for us.

“It’s fan­tas­tic to keep an­other clean sheet, it’s our sixth in seven games and we de­fended re­ally well.

“I feel proud of the play­ers and in some ways it feels like a win to me be­cause I know how hard we had to bat­tle to get a point.”

Yeovil cap­tain Darren Ward cleared a Danny Grainger cor­ner off his own goal line early in the game be­fore limp­ing out of the ac­tion with a knee in­jury.

But there were few chances for ei­ther side in an even open­ing 45 min­utes, with the two teams ef­fec­tively can­celling each other out.

Ar­tur Krysiak did re­act well to keep out a lon­grange shot from Jack Stacey, while Jack Comp­ton tested United keeper Mark Gille­spie from dis­tance as well.

In the sec­ond half the best chances fell to Carlisle, but Ibehre headed wide from 12 yards from their clear­est op­por­tu­nity as the game ended in a stale­mate.


N Yeovil

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.