Late strike by Davies breaks the Dale duck

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Ryan Daly

ROCHDALE have made a dis­as­trous start to their League One cam­paign but Keith Hill was cer­tain they would turn it around be­fore Steve Davies’ late win­ner against Fleet­wood earned their first win.

Bobby Grant’s penalty can­celled out Matthew Lund’s opener in the first half but Davies’ in­ter­ven­tion proved de­ci­sive for Rochdale as he headed home four min­utes from time.

And af­ter mov­ing off the foot of the ta­ble, Hill ex­plained that his team had never lost con­fi­dence de­spite their early strug­gles.

He said: “We were very com­fort­able, we set off su­perbly well and there was a lot of con­fi­dence on that pitch in this game.

“We worked on it all week in train­ing and I was con­fi­dent that we were go­ing to win.

“They are a re­ally good side and have qual­ity play­ers but I think we man­aged their at­tack well and we showed good at­tack­ing in­tent and I'm happy with the per­for­mance.”

The first real chance of the game fell to the hosts, a long punt up­field by Josh Lil­lis seized upon by Ian Hen­der­son but his chip over Cod Army keeper Chris Neal ef­fort was inches wide. Rochdale kept the pres­sure on and they were re­warded in the tenth minute.

A cross from the left­hand side cour­tesy of the right boot of Donal McDer­mott was pow­er­fully headed home by the tow­er­ing Lund.

The home side con­tin­ued to dom­i­nate pro­ceed­ings un­til the 22nd minute when a lovely thor­ough ball from David Ball set Chris Long on his way into the penalty area, a clumsy chal­lenge from Har­ri­son McGa­hey brought down the pacy winger and the ref­eree had no op­tion but to award a penalty.

Up stepped Bobby Grant to dis­patch the spot kick de­spite the best ef­fort of Lil­lis.

It took un­til 15 min­utes from time for the next real chance, as a loop­ing header by Dale’s Joe Bun­ney was met on the vol­ley by Hen­der­son but he blasted over.

But their pres­sure even­tu­ally paid off when a cross from the left side from Bun­ney was headed home by Davies, much to Uwe Rosler’s frus­tra­tion.

Rosler said: “I saw a side in the first half that I haven’t seen be­fore. The con­trast be­tween the first seven games and this one was mas­sive in the first half, the sec­ond half was much bet­ter but they de­served to win.

“I was par­tic­u­larly up­set about a few things and we will see when we watch the game back.

“We are go­ing to sit down and take the emo­tion out of the game when we an­a­lyse it.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.