The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By James Wil­liams

MARTIN ALLEN was con­tent to see Bar­net share the spoils with Colch­ester af­ter an im­proved sec­ond-half dis­play.

Cur­tis We­ston’s 82nd-minute equaliser sal­vaged the Bees a point at The Hive af­ter the U’s had led for much of the game through Tarique Fosu’s early opener.

Bar­net man­ager Allen said: “When you don’t play well and you get a point, it’s a good point.

“In the first half, although we didn’t play very well we still had three or four very good op­por­tu­ni­ties where we could have taken the lead.

“I thought they played very well in the first half and de­served to be 1-0 up.

“Hav­ing said that and hav­ing seen some of the re­views al­ready, we had numer­ous chances to score our­selves.

“In the sec­ond half, it was much more pos­i­tive and we played higher up the pitch, got closer to them and stopped them play­ing.

“The changes that we made, made a big dif­fer­ence.”

Colch­ester head coach John McGreal ad­mit­ted it was a game of two halves for his side, who had con­trolled the open­ing 45 min­utes.

McGreal said: “We’d have loved to have taken all three points but be­fore the match, a point away from home would have been re­ally good to take.

“In the first half we played well and we were look­ing to go again but in the sec­ond half, Bar­net were the bet­ter team.

“When they equalised, they then started play­ing again and had more op­por­tu­ni­ties to score but we take the point. It was a tough game and the boys have had a few bumps and bruises.

“But I thought we played some ex­cel­lent stuff in the first half, which we didn’t con­tinue in the sec­ond half and that’s some­thing we can im­prove on.”

Colch­ester took a six­th­minute lead through Read­ing loa­nee Fosu, who drilled a low shot home af­ter Drey Wright had picked him out on the edge of the area.

Sam­mie Sz­mod­ics’ shot flashed inches wide for the vis­i­tors sec­onds later but at the other end, only Bren­nan Dick­en­son’s cru­cial in­ter­ven­tion pre­vented Shaun Batt from bag­ging what looked like a cer­tain equaliser. Batt then squan­dered an even bet­ter chance just be­fore half­time when he headed sub­sti­tute Ja­mal Camp­bell-Ryce’s pre­cise cross over from four yards.

Vick­ers made a fine div­ing save to push away Wright’s fine curled ef­fort in the open­ing stages of the sec­ond half, fol­low­ing a swift U’s break.

But Luke Gam­bin’s ef­fort was headed off his own goalline by Colch­ester skip­per Luke Prosser, as Bar­net pressed for an equaliser.

The Bees fi­nally lev­elled with eight min­utes re­main­ing through We­ston, who con­verted from close range from Michael Nel­son’s as­sist to se­cure the hosts a de­served



DE­LIGHT: Tarique Fosu C POINT-SAVER: Cur­tis We­ston fires home Bar­net’s equaliser

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.