Cob­blers back on the right Page now

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Alec Swann

NORTHAMP­TON had few dif­fi­cul­ties as they brushed aside Southend with the min­i­mum of fuss, en­sur­ing no hang­over from the mid­week EFL Cup de­feat to Manchester United.

All four goals came in a sec­ond-half blitz, in which Southend’s Ja­son Demetriou was also sent off.

Cob­blers boss Rob Page said: “The Manchester United game, for us, was a bonus.

“We knew we had to do the dogged side of the game, the not so nice side of the game and we had to put our tin hats on in the first half.

“We knew that once we had the wind in the sec­ond half we could play a bit more and thank­fully we did and took our op­por­tu­ni­ties.”

By con­trast, his Southend coun­ter­part Phil Brown was left fum­ing at the events of the sec­ond half.

He said: “The ref­eree has given a free-kick in the first minute of the sec­ond half and it’s ended up in the back of the net.

“The sec­ond goal, I thought the rule had changed. If you’re deny­ing a goal-scor­ing op­por­tu­nity in the penalty box a penalty and a yel­low card was enough. He’s given a red card and it’s game over in ef­fect.

“From a bat­tling per­for­mance in the first half where we should’ve gone 1-0 up, to los­ing 4-0, I didn’t see it com­ing.

“In the first five min­utes the game changed be­cause of two poor de­ci­sions.”

The first 45 min­utes pro­vided fare of an in­stantly for­get­table na­ture with both sides squan­der­ing pos­ses­sion on a reg­u­lar ba­sis.

Time and again a bit of space was cre­ated only for the fi­nal pass to go astray and as such chances were scarce.

Sam Hoskins and Matt Tay­lor tried their luck from dis­tance for the hosts, the lat­ter forc­ing Mark Ox­ley into a sharp stop, and at the other end Jer­maine McGlashan, hav­ing cut in neatly from the left, shot weakly at Adam Smith.

But a minute af­ter the break, Northamp­ton went in front. Jak McCourt’s ef­fort from 20 yards was slop­pily dealt with by Ox­ley and John-Joe O’Toole was on hand to con­vert the re­bound.

Two min­utes later the game was as good as over when Demetriou brought down Paul An­der­son, re­ceiv­ing a red card for his trou­bles, and al­lowed Alex Rev­ell to dou­ble the lead from the penalty spot.

Tay­lor made it three on the hour with a sump­tu­ous free-kick from wide on the right and Paul An­der­son added a fourth with a low drive 13 min­utes from time.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.