Ainsworth en­joys the five-star dis­play

The Football League Paper - - FA CUP - By Michael Hale

ONLY seven places sep­a­rated League One Ch­ester­field from League Two Wy­combe Wan­der­ers be­fore this game.

But it was their vis­i­tors who played like a third tier side, while their higher-rated op­po­nents de­fended like com­plete am­a­teurs and ended up on the wrong end of a five nil romp.

And Wy­combe boss Gareth Ainsworth was un­der­stand­ably thrilled with his side’s per­for­mance and ef­fort.

“We’ve re­ally worked hard,” said Wy­combe boss Gareth Ainsworth. “We stayed fo­cus through­out to­day, no­body switched off.

“Peo­ple were say­ing last week that it was the start of some­thing spe­cial and the best they’ve seen us play – I think they can say that again to­day.

“There’s times when we were fan­tas­tic against 11. It’s not al­ways easy when they go down to 10 but we made it look easy.

“I told them to start dream­ing and them dreams will come true if you be­lieve. Now it’s a case of lady luck look­ing over us on Mon­day and giv­ing us a big tie – Man U or Liver­pool away would do for me!”

Ian Evatt headed tamely at Ja­mal Black­man early on and that was about as good as it got for Ch­ester­field.

Scott Kashket’s in­swing­ing cross found the un­marked Paul Hayes who glanced home Wy­combe’s opener with 20 min­utes gone.

It took just three min­utes for Wy­combe to dou­ble their lead as Kashket made the most of some more in­ept Spire­ites de­fend­ing to poke home from close range.

Ch­ester­field’s task be­came even tougher mid­way through the sec­ond pe­riod as Jon Nolan was dis­missed for a heavy chal­lenge on Do­minic Gape.

And Kashket poked his sec­ond past Fulton for Wy­combe’s third spark­ing boos and emp­ty­ing home stands with 20 min­utes to play.

Wy­combe’s sen­sa­tional day in the mid­lands con­tin­ued less than five min­utes later as Fulton’s fum­ble from a cor­ner saw An­thony Ste­wart vol­ley in a fourth, be­fore 20-year-old Kashket com­pleted an as­ton­ish­ing hat-trick to make it 5-0 to the side who were sup­posed to be the un­der­dogs.

“Dis­ap­pointed is a quite a mild word from where I’m sat,” said Ch­este­field man­ager Danny Wil­son, who kept his play­ers in the chang­ing rooms for well over an hour af­ter the fi­nal whis­tle.

“We had a spell in the first 10 min­utes where we could have been two down.

“And then we did find our­selves two down from two set pieces.”


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.