The Football League Paper - - FA CUP - By Matt Bad­cock

CO­ME­DIAN Tim Vine gave Sut­ton United a light-hearted team-talk – and then Roarie Dea­con re­ally wiped the smile off Chel­tenham Town faces with a 96th-minute win­ner.

The Na­tional League club that boast one of the FA Cup’s most fa­mous gi­antkillings are dream­ing of a big gun again.

This up­set might not be on the scale of their 1989 tri­umph over Coven­try City, but then the re­sult didn’t look on the cards at half-time.

Be­hind to Danny Wright’s first-half goal, debu­tant Matt Tubbs equalised 33 sec­onds af­ter the break be­fore Dea­con’s in­cred­i­ble win­ner.

It was the lat­est blow for the League Two Robins, who have slipped to sec­ond bot­tom of the Foot­ball League fol­low­ing back-to-back de­feats.

“It’s dis­ap­point­ing,” said Chel­tenham boss Gary John­son. “We’re out of the cup and we didn’t want to be out of the cup.

“We had a de­cent first-half, sec­ond-half re­ally they were bet­ter than us. They got their goal early, which was a big dis­ap­point­ment from our point of view. Then it was look­ing like go­ing back to Whad­don Road and they scored right at the death.

“That’s the FA Cup and why all the TV cam­eras are here I sup­pose. There’s not much be­tween the two teams in league sta­tus, but I sup­pose it’s an up­set for the TV.

“I’m dis­ap­pointed with the lads, of course I am, and I’m dis­ap­pointed what’s gone on the last cou­ple of weeks. It’s go­ing to take a big turn­around. We’re out of the FA Cup, we’re near the bot­tom of the league and it’s go­ing to take a mas­sive ef­fort. That’s what we’ve got to do. That’s all we can do be­cause that’s our job.”

While these two didn’t meet last year – Sut­ton were on their way to a ti­tle of their own in the Na­tional League South – Chel­tenham racked up over 100 points as they se­cured an im­me­di­ate re­turn to the Foot­ball League.

And Wright put them in the driv­ing seat when he turned in James Day­ton’s free­kick on 34 min­utes.

Just 33 sec­onds into the sec­ond-half, Sut­ton were level. Nicky Bai­ley lifted the ball into the box, Maxime Bi­amou flicked onto the un­marked Tubbs and he ham­mered in.

Sud­denly a cup tie broke out as a buoyed Sut­ton poured for­ward with Dea­con their big threat. He forced Rus­sell Grif­fiths’ into a save with his legs when Sut­ton over­loaded the Chel­tenham de­fence, and then volleyed over soon af­ter.

Rob Dickie, who had ear­lier had an ef­fort cleared off the line by Dan Spence, looped a header onto the bar for the vis­i­tors.

But in the fi­nal minute of stop­page time Dea­con drove into the bot­tom cor­ner to send Gan­der Green Lane wild.

“You dream of these days,” Sut­ton boss Paul Doswell said. “At half-time it was be­com­ing a nightmare be­cause if that had con­tin­ued sec­ond-half it would have been a real bad day at the of­fice.”

PICTURES: Ac­tion Images

MY BALL: Sut­ton United's Maxime Bi­amou heads at goal and inset left, Sut­ton’s Matt Tubbs scores the first goal


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.