David’s win­ner sees off Ath­letic

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Mark Davies

MICK McCarthy ad­mit­ted he was a re­lieved man af­ter see­ing his Ip­swich Town side re­cover to beat Cham­pi­onship strug­glers Wi­gan Ath­letic at the DW Sta­dium.

Brett Pit­man scored two ei­ther side of Yanic Wild­schut’s brace, be­fore sub­sti­tute David McGoldrick’s late win­ner lifted the pres­sure on McCarthy – end­ing a run of three league games with­out a win.

“War­ren Joyce must be sat there think­ing, ‘How have we lost that?’” he said.

“I thought we started very well and for half-an-hour we dom­i­nated them. I don’t know what the penalty was for but we got it, we scored it and then were all over them.

“We should have taken ad­van­tage of it, but we didn’t.

“As soon as they made a mess of their first free-kick it was a cer­tainty that the sec­ond one would go in and it did. That’s just how the sea­son has been go­ing.

“Af­ter that, they were bet­ter than us, but we made the sub­sti­tu­tions and they’ve made a real im­pact and won us the game.”

It was a mo­ment of con­tro­versy which opened the scor­ing; Lat­ics de­fender Dan Burn looked to have won the ball cleanly from Tom Lawrence.

But ref­eree Keith Stroud be­wil­der­ingly pointed to the spot, much to the dis­plea­sure of the home sup­port­ers. Pit­man dis­patched the spot-kick con­fi­dently and Town were in front.

That de­ci­sion ini­tially rocked the hosts; their play was rid­dled with er­rors, and their makeshift back-line were vul­ner­a­ble.

But as the half went on, Wi­gan’s con­fi­dence grew and the lev­eller came ten min­utes be­fore the break.

Max Power’s thun­der­ous free-kick was par­ried away by Bartosz Bialkowski but Wild­schut was there on the re­bound to sweep it high into the net.

The hosts now had their tails up. Power took aim from 20 yards, which forced a good save from the out-stretched Bialkowski.

But back came Ip­swich; Jonny Wil­liams can­noned a shot off the post with an ex­pert vol­ley shortly be­fore the break.

As the Lan­cashire fog de­scended in the sec­ond half, Wild­schut was out­stand­ing for the hosts.

Cut­ting in on the left, the Dutch­man was run­ning Town’s de­fence ragged, draw­ing good saves and leav­ing the Trac­tor Boys’ back-line scram­bling to clear.

The man-of-the match had Wi­gan ahead with a blis­ter­ing fin­ish into the top cor­ner af­ter cut­ting in off the left, and it looked as though a first home win since late Septem­ber was on the cards.

But Ip­swich weren’t fin­ished. First, Pit­man dou­bled his tally for the day with a neat fin­ish from 10 yards be­fore McGoldrick’s header two min­utes from time set­tled this thrilling con­test, leav­ing Lat­ics man­ager Joyce dis­ap­pointed with the re­sult.

“The first goal is a real kick in the teeth be­cause it wasn’t a penalty,” he said.

“The per­for­mances have been there but the re­sults haven’t. We played some re­ally good foot­ball and scor­ing three or four goals wouldn’t have been un­re­al­is­tic.

“It’s like a boxing match; at 2-1 you have to put them to the sword. You have to be more ruth­less. At 3-1 the game is dead but we just couldn’t get it.”

PIC­TURES: ProS­ports Images

PICK YOUR SPOT: Brett Pit­man scores the first of his two goals

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.