The Football League Paper - - FA CUP THIRD ROUND - By Sam Tobin

DEAN Smith was thrilled with Brentford’s fives­tar per­for­mance that saw them reach round four.

The Bees were three-up in­side 23 min­utes, Yoann Bar­bet’s penalty fol­lowed by Tom Field’s header and a su­perb Lasse Vibe curler.

The Spit­fires clawed one back through Ayo Obil­eye, be­fore Field added his sec­ond and Ro­maine Sawyers fired into the bot­tom cor­ner in in­jury time.

The sec­ond half was played at tes­ti­mo­nial pace and, though Eastleigh never gave up, Brentford recorded a com­fort­able win.

“I asked for three things from the play­ers: work rate, at­ti­tude and ap­pli­ca­tion and they gave me all three,” Smith said.

“I think I made my in­ten­tions clear when I named the team to the play­ers yes­ter­day. They knew we wanted to get through to the next round.

“Ob­vi­ously, it was a po­ten­tial ba­nana skin, but we needed to be pro­fes­sional and I thought we were.

“We could’ve scored more, we know that, but they prob­a­bly could’ve scored a few as well.”

Brentford were given a head start when keeper Gra­ham Stack brought down Vibe af­ter he met Sawyers’ neat pass, Bar­bet calmly slot­ting home on nine min­utes.

Sawyers was provider again on 17 min­utes with a fan­tas­tic cross to Field, who net­ted his first se­nior goal.

Eastleigh spurned a chance on 23 min­utes, Obil­eye un­able to turn in a free-kick and Brentford punished them im­me­di­ately.

Josh McEachran self­lessly passed to Vibe, who curled past Stack to end the con­test.

Eastleigh clawed one back on 29 min­utes, Daniel Bent­ley’s mis­cued punch fall­ing to Obil­eye to tap home.

The Bees re­stored their three-goal cush­ion on 38 min­utes, Field run­ning onto McEachran’s pass be­fore pro­duc­ing a striker’s fin­ish.

Sawyers then net­ted one him­self, Vibe pro­vid­ing a per­fect lay-off for his strike part­ner to score from 25 yards.

The sec­ond half was quiet but Obil­eye should have scored on 64 min­utes, head­ing Michael Green’s cor­ner over.

Sub­sti­tute Jota went close for Brentford late on, but the game was won long be­fore­hand.

On his re­turn to Brentford, Martin Allen was proud of Eastleigh’s re­sponse.

“It was very spe­cial,” Allen said. “It’s got to go down as one of the high­lights of my ca­reer.

“I thought we started all right. I wasn’t sure if that was a penalty. But they were bet­ter than us, let’s not kid our­selves, they de­served to win.

“This was go­ing to be a hard game for us what­ever the weather. The play­ers gave a great ac­count of them­selves.

“At half-time, all I needed to say to the play­ers was: ‘For f**k’s sake, what are we go­ing to do? Crum­ble, back off and drop? Or are we go­ing to give our fam­i­lies some­thing to be proud of ?’”

BRENTFORD: (3-5-2): Bent­ley 5, Egan 6, Dean 6 (Mepham 80 6), Bar­bet 6, Colin 6 (Clarke 45 7), McEachran 7, Woods 7, Yen­naris 6 (Jota 61 7), Field 7, Vibe 8, Sawyers 8 Subs not used: Bon­ham, Saun­ders, Hof­mann, Mc­Cor­mack

EASTLEIGH: (3-5-2): Stack 5, Dug­dale 5, Hoyte 5 (Rea­son 9 5), Es­sam 5, Od­of­fin 6, Tog­well 6, Coul­son 6, Obil­eye 5, Green 6, Bird 5 (Man­drom 62 6), Con­sta­ble 6 (Wil­son 55 6)

Subs not used: Childs

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Images

STAR MAN RO­MAINE SAWYERS Brentford Ayo Obil­eye scores their first FOURMIDABLE: Tom Field, right, is hugged af­ter scor­ing Brentford’s fourth goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.