Six-goal epic has boss Brass con­fused

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Michael Beard­more

BURY boss Chris Brass did not know whether to laugh or cry af­ter his strug­gling Shakers threw away a two-goal lead be­fore res­cu­ing a stop­page-time point.

It was a typ­i­cal af­ter­noon for Bury, the divi­sion’s fourth high­est scor­ers who also have the leaki­est back-line.

Tom Soares’ stop­page-time lev­eller res­cued a point, but Brass knows they can­not keep ship­ping goals as a six-pointer at Shrews­bury looms next week­end.

Brass, who con­firmed Bury have ac­cepted a bid for young de­fender Ja­cob Bedeau from As­ton Villa, said: “Clean sheets win games and that’s some­thing we’ve got to get right.

“We were fight­ing tooth and nail to keep the ball out of the net but once the first goal goes in, you’ve got to go back to that and keep on work­ing.

“But they showed the right char­ac­ter, kept go­ing and I will take some so­lace from how we’ve gone about it at the end.

“Shrews­bury are fight­ing, same as us, but I am glad we are go­ing into that game three un­beaten. That’s what we have to do – keep that mo­men­tum go­ing.”

Bury went ahead on 22 min­utes, James Vaughan tak­ing his tally to 17 for the sea­son by guid­ing home a vol­ley from Tom Pope’s cross.

Wal­sall keeper Neil Etheridge made a crack­ing dou­ble save to thwart Pope but was caught out for Bury’s sec­ond on the stroke of half-time as Reece Brown’s 35-yard free-kick floated in off the bar.

Bury had kept one clean sheet in 30 games but Lady Luck seemed on their side when Vaughan cleared off the line from Matt Pre­ston.

How­ever, Erhun Oz­tumer’s 20-yard free-kick got Wal­sall back in it, and eight min­utes later the Sad­dlers were ahead.

Full-back Ja­son McCarthy got both goals, drilling Wal­sall level from 15 yards and steer­ing home a near­post header to make it 3-2.

How­ever, Bury res­cued a point in in­jury time, Soares steer­ing home an invit­ing Brown cross to leave Wal­sall man­ager Jon Whit­ney de­flated.

He said: “We were two min­utes away from win­ning it and I am dis­ap­pointed with the third goal. It was too easy.

“But in the sec­ond half we showed a lot of char­ac­ter. At half-time none of my lads’ heads were down. We still be­lieved. We knew if we got the first one we would have a chance to go on and win it. I even thought we would go on and get a fourth but we’ll take it on the chin.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.