The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Scott Phillips

DAR­REN Fer­gu­son ad­mit­ted that lead­ers Don­caster lacked a cut­ting edge as they had to set­tle for a point away at Craw­ley.

Glenn Mor­ris was the hero of the hour for the Reds, sav­ing from the spot from John Mar­quis and then fol­low­ing it up with a sec­ond save a sec­ond later as Al­fie May was fastest to the re­bound.

May then had a goal dis­al­lowed five min­utes be­fore the break for off­side, although Fer­gu­son felt that was the wrong call.

Still, the Donny boss was more frus­trated at his team’s in­abil­ity to kick on from vic­tory at Cam­bridge on Tues­day, even if they re­main four points clear at the top.

He said: “I’ve seen hun­dreds of games like that where you end up los­ing it be­cause you just get frus­trated.

“It was just one of those days where the ball just wouldn’t go in the net.

“It is a dis­ap­point­ing re­sult be­cause we wanted to build on Tues­day, and take ad­van­tage of that.

“It is an­other point on the board, we’ve now got two home games com­ing up, and it is im­por­tant when you don’t win the game you make sure you don’t lose it.

“The boys couldn’t have given any more, we tried and tried to break them down but un­for­tu­nately just couldn’t on the day.

“Al­fie May put the ball in the net, and he is on­side, that is a poor de­ci­sion.

“Although I thought the penalty was soft, so it evens it­self out.”

Af­ter the missed penalty and the dis­al­lowed goal, Craw­ley then had a penalty claim of their own on the stroke of half­time.

Billy Clif­ford went down in the box but the ref­eree Michael Sal­is­bury waved play on.

There was then a flare-up head­ing into the in­ter­val as Craw­ley’s Lewis Young was caught by Andy But­ler but af­ter some push­ing and shov­ing the sides calmed down.

The mo­men­tum shifted af­ter the break, with Tom Lawlor pulling off a cou­ple of fine saves from Joe McNer­ney’s close range header and then Mark Con­nolly within the space of a minute.

That flurry five min­utes into the half was as close as they came but Craw­ley boss Der­mot Drummy was the hap­pier of the two man­agers come the full-time whis­tle.

He said: “At half-time I told my team to be brave but don’t be stupid.

“I think within first ten min­utes of sec­ond half we had two great chances.

“The crowd were fan­tas­tic, they were right be­hind us and it makes such a dif­fer­ence to the play­ers and they re­ally re­sponded to it.

“You’ve got to play the foot­ball to get the crowd off their feet.

“We un­der­stand the de­mands of the fans and they were re­ally great.

“I thought in the sec­ond half we had a pe­riod be­fore they had a pe­riod and in the end I thought both teams were go­ing for the win.”

PIC­TURES: ProS­ports/ David Char­bit

STAR MAN GLENN MOR­RIS Craw­ley BAT­TLE: Craw­ley Town de­fender Lewis Young gets to the ball ahead of Don­caster Rovers for­ward Andy Wil­liams

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.