That’s 20 wins for the Pil­grims

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Matthew Bam­sey

DEREK Adams hailed a ‘com­plete per­for­mance’ as his Ply­mouth side moved a step closer to pro­mo­tion with their 20th league win of the sea­son. Gra­ham Carey pounced on a mis­take by Luke Joyce to grab a 21st minute opener – and fire his first league goal since De­cem­ber 10.

And Jake Jervis dou­bled the Pil­grims’ lead in first-half stop­page time af­ter send­ing Mark Gille­spie the wrong way from the spot.

Third-placed Carlisle had three goals dis­al­lowed as they suf­fered a third straight de­feat and they have now won just three of their last 12 games.

Hav­ing bounced back from four games with­out a win, sec­ond­placed Ply­mouth are eight points clear of Lu­ton in fourth and boast a game in hand on some of their ri­vals.

Pil­grims boss Adams beamed: “I think it was prob­a­bly one of the bet­ter per­for­mances we have had this sea­son.

“It was a com­plete per­for­mance we scored two goals and kept a clean sheet. The win and three points are vi­tal in this league.

“We have played sec­ond against fourth last week­end and got a point and this week­end we’ve played sec­ond against third and dealt well with the sit­u­a­tion, and won.

“We were in con­trol of the match for the ma­jor­ity of the game. We de­fended well and took our op­por­tu­ni­ties when they came along.

“Now we move on to Tues­day night’s game here against Blackpool but it won’t be easy be­cause they are a side look­ing to push into those play-off po­si­tions.”

Carlisle started brightly and had two goals ruled out within the space of a minute.

Jamie Proc­tor had clearly strayed too far as he headed home from close range af­ter Ply­mouth only par­tially cleared a Carlisle cor­ner. The sec­ond de­ci­sion was closer, with Reg­gie Lambe’s header from a Nicky Adams cross ruled out for off­side. The dou­ble scare sparked Ply­mouth into life and Ryan Tay­lor latched on to Gary Sawyer’s cross only to see his loop­ing header come back off the cross­bar. But the home side broke the dead­lock af­ter Joyce played a sui­ci­dal pass across the pitch. Carey took ad­van­tage, swap­ping passes with Tay­lor be­fore steer­ing the ball past Gille­spie for his 11th goal of the sea­son.

On the half-hour mark, Carey forced Gille­spie into a smart fin­ger­tip save with a curl­ing 25-yard free-kick.

Ref­eree Mark Hey­wood took cen­tre stage on the stroke of half­time af­ter rul­ing Shaun Brisley had gone over the top of Tay­lor and pointed to the spot. Jervis made no mis­take, send­ing the keeper the wrong way for his tenth goal of the sea­son.

Sec­ond-half sub­sti­tute Jabo Ibehre was pulled up for hand­ball – and re­ceived a yel­low card – as he con­verted Nicky Adams’ cross.

The match en­tered a lull in goal­mouth in­ci­dent un­til Jervis let fly with a blis­ter­ing an­gled ef­fort which scraped the top of the cross­bar in the 76th minute. Ply­mouth looked more likely to add to their tally, Ryan Don­ald­son forc­ing Gille­spie into a com­fort­able save be­fore the keeper dived to his left to keep out David Fox’s skid­ding drive.

Cum­bri­ans boss Keith Curle said: “We are be­ing pun­ished for silly mis­takes. We have come to a good team and, foot­balling wise, there was noth­ing in the game.

“Th­ese er­rors need to be erad­i­cated and some of our de­ci­sion-mak­ing has to im­prove.

“This is the time when you find out ex­actly what we have got in the chang­ing room.

“Other teams are get­ting the rub of the green at the minute and I am sure it will be our turn soon.”

THREAT: Ply­mouth’s An­toni Sarce­vic fires in a shot

PIC­TURES: ProS­ports/Gra­ham Hunt

HE’S BACK: Gra­ham Carey opens the scor­ing with his first goal since De­cem­ber IN­SET: Jake Jervis dou­bles lead


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.