For­mer Ful­ham and Bris­tol City striker Leroy Rose­nior talks us through his foot­ball mem­o­ries

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE RESULTS -

First match? The first time I went to a live game was at Sel­hurst Park, to watch Crys­tal Palace in the late 1970s, and they won 2-0. I went with my fu­ture broth­erin-law, who was a big Palace fan, and it was great fun. I for­get who they played, but Terry Ven­ables was the man­ager and Dave Swindle­hurst scored twice. First hero? My first foot­ball hero was Peter House­man, who was a left-winger play­ing for Chelsea in the 1960s and 70s. Un­for­tu­nately, he died in a car crash, aged 31. But he played wide left for Chelsea and I thought he was great. It was around the time when they re­leased that song Blue Is The Colour. Chelsea were the most flam­boy­ant side. They had Peter Os­good and Char­lie Cooke, and I al­ways liked wide play­ers. First boots? I had Ge­orge Best Gola boots when I was a kid, which were good. But my favourite boots were my first pro­fes­sional ones – a pair of Puma Kings with a white heel. I loved them! In those days, we didn’t have a new pair ev­ery week. If they got torn, then you had to get them re­paired! I re­mem­ber do­ing that time and again. I had them for four years and kept hav­ing them re­paired. First kit? That would have been the Eng­land kit which had Ad­mi­ral spon­sor­ship all over it. It was the one that had red, blue and white on the shoul­ders and was re­ally itchy! We didn’t have a lot of money when I was grow­ing up, so I did not have a col­lec­tion. The only shirts I have left are the ones my son Liam gave me. I have his Eng­land Un­der-21 shirt and his Ful­ham shirt when he made his de­but. All the rest I have given to char­ity or raf­fles. First game? My de­but was for Ful­ham at Fil­bert Street against Le­ices­ter City when I was 17. It did not end well be­cause I broke my col­lar­bone! I fell on my shoul­der in the first 20 min­utes. We lost 2-0 as well, so it was a mis­er­able day. I got to hospi­tal and found out the ex­tent of the dam­age. I was stuck in­doors for six weeks be­cause I could not wash un­der my armpits! It was hor­ri­ble. I got fit again but did not get an­other game for a year. First goal? My first goals were in my next game at Craven Cot­tage. I fi­nally got to make my home de­but against Derby County and scored twice in a 2-2 draw. It was a won­der­ful day. I still have pic­tures of it. Ev­ery club I played for, I scored on my home de­but, so I was in the good books of my sup­port­ers early on. While do­ing re­search for my re­cent­lyre­leased au­to­bi­og­ra­phy It’s Only Ban­ter, I was look­ing at pic­tures of it and I can see the fans go­ing men­tal when I put the header away. First red card? I was sent off twice in my pro­fes­sional ca­reer. The first time was at Up­ton Park not long af­ter I moved to West Ham. We were play­ing Chelsea and I had scored twice. We were 3-1 up and it was go­ing well. And then Steve Clarke just trod on me when I was on the ground. I leapt up and grabbed his throat. I quickly re­alised what I had done, but the ref­eree spot­ted it and pulled out the red card!

FOOT­BALL HERO: Peter House­man

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.