Ju­nior has come of age for the Posh

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Matt Wright

JU­NIOR MORIAS’ last-gasp goal for Peter­bor­ough at Gilling­ham was wor­thy of win­ning any game, although his man­ager Grant McCann had to ad­mit that it was a lit­tle out of place.

The match was a quin­tes­sen­tial 0-0 for 90 min­utes; des­per­ately short of qual­ity and with a paucity of chances at ei­ther end be­tween two teams lack­ing in con­fi­dence.

But Morias snatched the points for Posh with a bril­liant late strike to keep their slim play-off hopes alive and leave the Gills, wor­ry­ingly short of an at­tack­ing threat, just three points above the rel­e­ga­tion zone.

McCann said: “The game it­self was poor and the pitch played a mas­sive part in that for both teams.

“I don’t think there were three or four passes strung to­gether from both teams.

“I said to the lads at half-time that it was go­ing to be a bit of magic that wins the game and we’ve got enough play­ers with a bit of magic to win a game.

“The goal was just wor­thy of win­ning the game, it was a tremen­dous strike from Ju­nior.

“I was de­lighted for him be­cause dur­ing the week he’s been des­per­ate for a chance.”

The only in­ci­dent of a truly aw­ful first half didn’t ac­tu­ally in­volve any of the play­ers, as ref­eree Bren­dan Malone went off with an in­jury af­ter 38 min­utes, with lines­man Chris Wade tak­ing up the whis­tle.

The match finally started to open up af­ter the break, as Gills sub­sti­tute Harry Cor­nick shot wide from 25 yards, be­fore Mar­cus Mad­di­son’s am­bi­tious free kick dipped just the wrong side of the cross­bar.

Debu­tant To­mas Holy then pro­duced an ex­cel­lent save as he tipped over a fan­tas­tic long-range ef­fort by Peter­bor­ough cap­tain Chris For­rester.

Then came a late twist, as Morias let fly from 25 yards and Holy this time had no chance as the ball sailed past him into the net.

Gilling­ham boss Ady Pen­nock could find few con­so­la­tions in de­feat. “It was just a very poor game and when you play those games, you’ve got to get some­thing out of it and we haven’t,” he said.

“It wasn’t for the lack of try­ing, it was just a game that just didn’t get go­ing.

“There were too many stops in the first half – even the ref­eree got bloody in­jured – and then we came out late af­ter half-time be­cause the of­fi­cials weren’t ready.

“I’m not say­ing it’s an ex­cuse; what I’m say­ing is that it just didn’t flow as we wanted.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.