Cum­bri­ans drought is fi­nally at an end

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Chris Spit­tles

CARLISLE re­vived their push for the play­offs as they ended a 702-minute goal drought to beat strug­gling Yeovil and move up to sev­enth spot.

The Cum­bri­ans had earned just one point from seven games be­fore head­ing to Somerset, a run that saw them slip out­side the all-im­por­tant top seven.

But John O’Sullivan’s headed goal on 16 min­utes vis­i­bly lifted their con­fi­dence and Reg­gie Lambe made sure of vic­tory af­ter the home side had Ben Whit­field sent off.

Boss Keith Curle said: “Let’s be hon­est, it wasn’t a great game.

“I don't think in any way, shape, or form it was a clas­sic. You could tell there was a ner­vous­ness and ten­ta­tive­ness in some of the play.

“Goals change games and I thought we pro­fes­sion­ally saw the game out and we had op­por­tu­ni­ties to per­haps go on and make it four or five.

“A clean sheet and a win away from home was what we needed. I had a feel­ing our first vic­tory was go­ing to be a scruffy one.”

Yeovil have won just once in their last 12 games but are still ten points above the League Two rel­e­ga­tion zone.

Man­ager Dar­ren Way said: “We have to take col­lec­tive re­spon­si­bil­ity for that be­cause we are very dis­ap­pointed with what hap­pened.

“Goals from set-plays are cost­ing us at the mo­ment and I’ve lost count of how many goals Carlisle have scored against us like that.

“We worked hard all week on stop­ping it but when that header went in, it gave them a huge boost and lifted a team that was low on con­fi­dence.

“We had pos­ses­sion af­ter that but we didn’t do enough with it, we didn’t have enough qual­ity and quite rightly the crowd weren’t happy with what they were see­ing.”

Carlisle went ahead on 16 min­utes when a quick free-kick freed Lambe to send over a cross which was headed in at the near post by O’Sullivan.

Tom Eaves came close to an equaliser just be­fore half-time when he flicked a cross from Whit­field just wide, but Carlisle took con­trol of pro­ceed­ings af­ter the break.

Whit­field was sent off on 54 min­utes for an el­bow on Cum­bri­ans de­fender Tom Miller and just a minute later the vis­i­tors dou­bled their lead.

Lambe’s pow­er­ful drive was beaten away by Yeovil keeper Ar­tur Krysiak, but the winger re­acted quick­est to score from the re­bound.

And that sealed the vic­tory for Carlisle as they climbed back into the play-off spots.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.