The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Gra­ham Ot­way

DE­SPITE net­ting an in­jury-time win­ner to re­in­force Ply­mouth’s pro­mo­tion push, striker Ryan Tay­lor was not im­pressed with his side’s show­ing at Crawley.

The Pil­grims set a new club record of 13 away wins in a sea­son with the tri­umph, but ‘ter­ri­ble’, ‘sloppy’, and ‘poor’ were just three of the words Tay­lor used to de­scribe how they had been to­tally dom­i­nated for the first hour.

Dean Fox’s first goal for Crawley since his sign­ing from Leyton Ori­ent dur­ing the trans­fer win­dow had given Crawley the lead in the 29th minute.

And with their wide men Enzio Boldewijn and Billy Clif­ford cre­at­ing many open­ings, the Sus­sex side of­ten looked in to­tal con­trol.

But with the help of ref­eree Ben Turner and a Crawley de­fen­sive er­ror, Ply­mouth took the spoils and opened up a 12point gap over Lu­ton who are top of the divi­sion’s play-off can­di­dates list.

And while their 1,540 trav­el­ling fans – who made up nearly 50 per cent of the to­tal crowd – left the ground in noisy ec­stasy, Tay­lor was to­tally hon­est about his team’s per­for­mance.

“It was ab­so­lutely not a pretty game, but we got the three points we came here for,” he said. “It was a sloppy game from start to fin­ish, but to get pro­mo­tion you have to grind out games like that.

“I will be hon­est it was a ter­ri­ble game, but our fans were un­be­liev­able. They kept cheer­ing us through­out even though we had a poor game.”

Ply­mouth’s de­fence was cer­tainly torn apart by the move that set up Crawley’s goal. A clever pass from Boldewijn freed Lewis Young to race to the by­line and his low cross was turned home by Fox.

The vis­i­tors had not had a sin­gle at­tempt on goal in the first 18 min­utes of the sec­ond half when they were handed a ques­tion­able penalty by Turner, as An­toni Sarce­vic fell to the ground in a 50-50 tackle with Mark Con­nolly.

Gra­ham Carey ham­mered home the spot kick, and Ply­mouth’s task of seek­ing a win­ner was made eas­ier in the 79th minute by ref­eree Turner when he sent off Crawley’s James Collins for ap­pear­ing to el­bow Yann Songo’o.

“That was a harsh de­ci­sion,” said Crawley’s coach Der­mott Drummy. “It was not vi­o­lent con­duct; it was not an ag­gres­sive act be­cause he raised his el­bow to pro­tect him­self.”

Drummy will wait to see Turner’s re­port be­fore ap­peal­ing any Collins ban be­cause he ac­cepted he had been shown a first yel­low card for an­other chal­lenge min­utes ear­lier. Re­duced to ten men, Crawley spent most of the re­main­der of the match in their own half and looked safe for a point un­til in­jury-time when de­fender Young mis­cued an at­tempted clear­ance and Tay­lor net­ted the win­ner. And Drummy sug­gested Ply­mouth had been handed their three points on a plat­ter.

He said: “We gave it to them by not elim­i­nat­ing er­rors.

“We should have cleared our lines, but in­stead played the ball back into our own area and we paid the price.”

ICE COOL: Gra­ham Carey’s penalty

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.