The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Jack­son Baker

NEIL Har­ris couldn’t hid his anger at ref­eree Charles Break­s­pear’s de­ci­sion-mak­ing as his Mill­wall were held to a draw in a feisty en­counter at Pri­est­field Sta­dium.

The vis­i­tors dom­i­nated a goal­less first half, which was over­shad­owed by an in­ci­dent which ap­peared to sug­gest a coin was thrown from the stand hold­ing the vis­it­ing fans at ex-Lion Lee Martin – although nei­ther man­ager would com­ment on it.

Gillingham took the lead through Joe Quigley’s em­phatic fin­ish on 66 min­utes, although it ar­rived fol­low­ing a con­tentious de­ci­sion to award the hosts a cor­ner with Mill­wall claim­ing their goal­keeper Tom King had been fouled.

How­ever, Mill­wall cap­tain Steve Mori­son equalised five min­utes later with his first goal in more than two months and Har­ris praised his side’s re­solve.

“We’ve had de­ci­sions go against us here,” said Har­ris, who saw Mill­wall climb into the play-off places.

“Last year there was the last-minute penalty and this sea­son there was a clear foul on our goal­keeper which gave them the cor­ner which they scored from.

“The ref­eree is good, how­ever, I thought he got three ma­jor de­ci­sions wrong; the cor­ner and two penal­ties we could have had, but he can only give what he sees.

“I thought the char­ac­ter of our play­ers af­ter that was su­perb. The Gillingham goal didn’t put us out of our stride.

“We were quite a long way off the play­offs but now we’re back in it which means our destiny is in our own hands which is good.”

Mill­wall started brightly and nearly took the lead in the first minute when Mori­son’s low cross from the right found Ai­den O’Brien who failed to make clean con­tact with the ball.

That was the best chance of a poor first half that was dom­i­nanted by the al­leged coin in­ci­dent, but on 67 min­utes Quigley broke the dead­lock with his first-ever EFL goal.

The Bournemouth loa­nee re­acted quick­est af­ter Cody McDon­ald’s header from a Martin cor­ner that was saved by King, although Mill­wall felt there had been a foul on their keep­ing in the build-up.

The Lions nearly equalised straight from the restart but sub­sti­tute Lee Gre­gory lost his foot­ing as he was just about to pull the trig­ger. How­ever, they were not to be de­nied five min­utes later af­ter Jed Wal­lace’s shot was saved into the path of Mori­son who made no mis­take from the re­bound.

Gillingham are one point and a place above the rel­e­ga­tion zone, but man­ager Ady Pen­nock was sat­is­fied with the re­sult.

Pen­nock said: “It was a big point for us. Mill­wall are a very good side. They’re up there for a rea­son and Neil’s do­ing a great job for them.

“We’ve shown we can match teams at the higher end of the ta­ble but for some rea­son we haven’t been good enough against the teams in and around us.”

PIC­TURES: Max Flego

SHAKWE: Steve Mori­son is con­grat­u­lated by Ben Thomp­son af­ter scor­ing for Mill­wall

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.