EARNS IMPS LEAGUE RE­TURN new­com­ers get off the mark

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO -

Lin­coln fans were de­ter­mined to en­joy their team’s re­turn to big time, in­clud­ing giv­ing their ver­dict on Wy­combe keeper Scott Brown’s psy­che­delic jersey in equally colour­ful terms.

They al­most had an early goal to cel­e­brate, as Gin­nelly bat­tled past Sido Jom­bati only for Brown to stand strong against his shot.

It was the only time ei­ther goal­keeper was re­ally tested in what was an even if scrappy first half-hour, but first goal ar­rived from one of the Red Imps’ debu­tants.

Wy­combe played their part, as they failed to clear their lines be­fore the ball broke for Nathan Arnold in the penalty area and he squared for Matt Green to tap into the empty net. The vis­i­tors’ lead lasted just six min­utes, how­ever, as non-ex­is­tent mark­ing gave Luke O’Nien the free­dom of the penalty area to nod Joe Ja­cob­son’s set-piece into the top corner. Three min­utes later, the Chair­boys lead as Ja­cob­son’s low free kick from 25 yards was de­flected off what was a flimsy Lin­coln wall, leav­ing Paul Far­man un­sighted as the ball went past him. But the Imps squared it up again four min­utes into the sec­ond half as Alex Wood­yard played a su­perb through ball to Gin­nelly, who calmly fin­ished beyond Brown.

Un­for­tu­nately, af­ter this flurry of goals ei­ther side of half-time the game de­gen­er­ated back into a dis­jointed scrap, with Wood­yard right­fully booked for a poor chal­lenge on Do­minic Gape.

The in­ten­sity went out of the game from that point, with nei­ther side able to forge a clear open­ing to leave us at hon­ours even at the fi­nal whis­tle.

Wy­combe boss Gareth Ainsworth, a former Lin­coln player, said: “I thought we were the bet­ter side in the first half and they were the bet­ter side sec­ond half.

“I was pleased with my boys com­ing back into it af­ter con­ced­ing a goal that was against the run of play, but then I was dis­ap­pointed by the slop­pi­ness of the goals we con­ceded.

“There are things to work on, but they [Lin­coln] are up there in the bet­ting for a rea­son; they’ll pick points up in this league, they have a way of play­ing and the per­son­nel to do that.

“There were no in­juries, which was the big thing, but it was a good point and one more than what we had this time last year.”

WY­COMBE WAN­DER­ERS (4-3-3): Brown 7, Har­ri­man 7, Jom­bati 7, El-Abd 6, Ja­cob­son 8, Gape 6, O'Nien 7, Saunders 6 (Bloom­field 77, 5), South­well 5 (Cowan-Hall 69, 4), Ak­in­fenwa 6, Tyson 4 (Hayes 89, N/A) Subs not used: Richard­son, Bean, Muller, Free­man

LIN­COLN CITY (4-4-2): Far­man 6, Long 7, Dickie 6, Raggett 8, Eard­ley 6, Arnold 6, Wood­yard 7, Bost­wick 6, Gin­nelly 8 (Maguire-Drew 79, 5), Rhead 6 (Knott 63, 4), Green 7 (Palmer 83, 5)

Subs not used: Vick­ers, White­house, Howe, An­der­son

POWER PLAY: Ade­bayo Ak­in­fenwa gets stuck in. Right: Sam Saunders gets away from Michael Bost­wick STAR MAN JOE JA­COB­SON Wy­combe

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.