Wool­ery pre­vents a Gre­cian tragedy

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Claire Gould

SWIN­DON Town boss David Fl­itcroft be­lieved a draw was the right re­sult as his team came from be­hind against Ex­eter City to main­tain their un­beaten start to the league sea­son.

Re­cent sign­ing Kaiyne Wool­ery grabbed his first goal for the club, can­celling out Liam McAlin­den’s first-half opener.

Fl­itcroft said: “I think a point is about right.

“The roar we came out to was quite deaf­en­ing. There was a real feel-good fac­tor in the sta­dium but as a team, we were flat.

“The first 20 min­utes was fe­ro­cious – two teams go­ing ham­mer and tongs.

“In the sec­ond half, we moved the ball quicker and switched play bet­ter. We looked a lot more dan­ger­ous.

“Luke Norris’ pres­ence up front was mas­sive and Kaiyne’s pace threat­en­ing be­hind wor­ried Ex­eter to death.

“Paul Tisdale has built a big strong, team. They will cer­tainly be up there and will cause prob­lems.”

The Gre­cians thought they had bro­ken the dead­lock in the 22nd minute when McAlin­den’s header from Lee Holmes’ left-wing cor­ner ap­peared to cross the line be­fore be­ing cleared by Lawrence Vigouroux.

In the en­su­ing melee, David Wheeler had two penalty claims turned down.

Five min­utes later, Ex­eter did take the lead, McAlin­den re­act­ing quick­est to thump the ball into the roof of the net af­ter Vigouroux had turned Reuben Reid’s pow­er­ful drive onto the post.

The Robins al­most lev­elled on the half-hour mark, Pierce Sweeney de­flect­ing the ball into his own net from a right-wing cross only for the goal to be ruled out for an al­leged shirt­pull in the build-up.

How­ever, debu­tant Wool­ery took just 11 min­utes to open his ac­count for the Robins af­ter com­ing on at half-time, slot­ting un­der Christy Pym af­ter be­ing played clear by Luke Norris.

Then 16year-old Jack Sparkes came close to scor­ing a spec­tac­u­lar de­but goal for Ex­eter in the 79th minute, his pow­er­ful drive beat­ing Vigouroux but can­non­ing off the post.

Ex­eter City boss Paul Tisdale was frus­trated by the stale­mate.

He said: “We played re­ally well and it was a re­ally good game but I’m a lit­tle bit disappointed we didn’t get the three points.

“We had the op­por­tu­ni­ties to do that and on an­other day, we would have got the sec­ond goal or a penalty.

“I was re­ally pleased but ten per cent more of some­thing would have got us that win.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.