The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Alan John­son

DANNY Cow­ley was re­lieved to see his Lincoln side pick up three points af­ter the Imps made hard work of over­com­ing strug­gling Ch­ester­field.

A de­flected Michael Bost­wick strike and an Andy Kel­lett own goal con­demned the Spire­ites to a fifth con­sec­u­tive league de­feat, though Kris­tian Den­nis’s penalty made a game of it late on.

“No games are go­ing to be easy for us at this level,” said Cow­ley. “If we had come away with a 2-0 vic­tory we’d all be say­ing what a pro­fes­sional per­for­mance it was. But we gave away a penalty need­lessly and off the back of that we’re al­ways go­ing to have a nervy last few mo­ments.

“It was a dan­ger­ous time to play Ch­ester­field be­cause they were buoyed by their win at Rother­ham in the week. Added to that, Jack Lester is go­ing to be a good man­ager and with him com­ing in it was al­ways go­ing to give their lads a lift and al­low them to find that ex­tra lit­tle bit of en­ergy.

“We just needed a third goal to kill the game off, but we hit the bar and had a cou­ple cleared off the line, so as I said, noth­ing will come easy for us in this di­vi­sion and we’ll have to fight for ev­ery­thing – as we did to­day.”

For all their dom­i­nance, the Imps were per­haps for­tu­nate to go ahead on 17 min­utes. Ch­ester­field failed to deal with a Sam Habergham throw and the ball fell to Bost­wick, whose 20-yard strike took a huge de­flec­tion off Bradley Barry and nes­tled in the cor­ner of ex-Imp Joe Anyon’s net. Eight min­utes later it was two, and again it was a Spire­ite who left Anyon with no chance. Harry An­der­son played a neat one-two with Matt Green be­fore skip­ping away down the left. His low left­wing cross was then pow­ered into his own net by Kel­lett, with Jor­dan Maguire-Drew lurk­ing dan­ger­ously at the back post.

Lincoln had Josh Vick­ers to thank on 39 min­utes for pre­vent­ing a way back into the game for the vis­i­tors when he bril­liantly kept out a Jor­dan Flores free-kick which was bound for the top left cor­ner.

The vis­i­tors were awarded a penalty against the run of play eight min­utes from time when An­der­son brought down Barry in the area. Sub­sti­tute Den­nis fired home his sixth goal of the sea­son send­ing Vick­ers the wrong way from the re­sult­ing spot-kick, but Lincoln held on for the vic­tory.

Ch­ester­field boss Jack Lester was left frus­trated his side couldn’t build on the win in mid­week.

“The per­for­mance wasn’t as good as Tues­day – there were too many in­di­vid­ual er­rors. We didn’t look af­ter the foot­ball as well and we didn’t tackle as well as we should have done,” he said.

“There were lit­tle de­tails that sim­ply weren’t there to­day, but I felt af­ter we got one back we might just nick some­thing, and whilst that per­haps wouldn’t have been de­served, the penalty cer­tainly gave us a chance.”

PIC­TURES: An­drew Vaughan

MOB MATCH: Harry An­der­son, cen­tre, cel­e­brates with team-mates af­ter Lincoln’s sec­ond

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.