Pit­man damp­ens Seasiders’ op­ti­mism

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Scott Hunt

AT THE end of what has been a mo­men­tous week for Black­pool off the field, with the news that their un­pop­u­lar own­ers the Oys­ton fam­ily have put the club up for sale, Portsmouth ar­rived to sub­due the re­newed hope at Bloom­field Road.

Brett Pit­man struck twice to end Pom­pey’s run of three straight league de­feats as four goals ar­rived in the fi­nal 16 min­utes of a dra­matic en­counter in Lan­cashire.

Black­pool twice equalised through Viv Solomon-Ota­bor and an Ollie Hawkins own goal, with Ben Close also strik­ing for Pom­pey as the Seasiders slipped to a third straight de­feat in League One.

“The man­ner of the goals we’ve con­ceded is very dis­ap­point­ing,” said Black­pool man­ager Gary Bowyer.

“The dis­ap­point­ing thing is that we’ve had to work really hard for our goals and they haven’t had to.

“We’ve lost two on the bounce at home and con­ceded three goals in each – three not very good goals as well. Guess what the topic of train­ing next week is!

“It’s all about our char­ac­ter now, which we know is good. We have to try and put a stop to this run and that starts on Mon­day.”

Mean­while, Portsmouth boss Kenny Jack­ett was un­der­stand­ably de­lighted post-match.

“It’s a big win and a big week for us,” he said.

“We got key goals at key mo­ments. It was end-to-end, we went toeto-toe, and we were the ones that got the win­ning goal.

“We al­ways have at­tack­ing in­tent and it’s gone for us be­cause we are the ones who’ve got that win­ning goal at the death.

“Three points are a big thing and we have to keep tak­ing the game to teams and at­tack­ing.”

All the ac­tion came in the sec­ond half, with Portsmouth go­ing ahead on 52 min­utes when Ja­mal Lowe’s de­flected shot was well-saved by Ryan All­sop but the ball dropped to Pit­man, who slot­ted into the empty net.

Black­pool sub­sti­tute Dolly Menga, mak­ing his de­but, then picked out an inch-per­fect cross for Solomon-Ota­bor to draw the Seasiders level from four yards.

But their lead lasted just six min­utes. Keeper All­sop made a su­perb save to deny Pit­man, but the ball broke to Close, who stroked in ex­pertly from 12 yards.

On 82 min­utes, the Seasiders equalised for a sec­ond time when Hawkins headed into his own net.

But Portsmouth grabbed their win­ner when Pit­man was left un­marked at the far post and nod­ded home.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.