Warnock’s rag­ing turns tide

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Arthur Red­fearn

NEIL Warnock’s Cardiff play­ers gave their man­ager a birth­day to re­mem­ber – but only af­ter one of the boss’ patented half-time tirades.

The Blue­birds trailed at the break to Nor­wich thanks to Marco Stieper­mann’s su­perb strike from the edge of the area.

But af­ter the in­ter­val, Warnock’s men turned the game on its head thanks to Joe Ralls’ penalty and Ju­nior Hoi­lett’s strike.

Omar Bogle – brought on at the break – then grabbed a third late on to seal a vic­tory for Cardiff that moves them to within a point of league lead­ers Wolves, who head to Birm­ing­ham on Mon­day night.

And Warnock, who turned 69 on Fri­day, ad­mit­ted his rant­ing and rav­ing at the break had not been for the faint-hearted.

“The last time I said some­thing like that to play­ers at half-time it was on YouTube so have a look at that for an idea,” he said. “It was a dif­fi­cult night. I shouldn’t have to go off like that on my birth­day!

“With 12 min­utes to go to half­time, I turned to Blackie and Ron­nie (as­sis­tant man­agers Kevin Black­well and Ron­nie Jep­son) and said all we can hope for is get­ting to half-time at 0-0. Then they went and scored, which made it worse.

“We made changes but I wish we could have used five or six, I would have brought them all on.

“The lads re­ally did me proud sec­ond half. We could have scored a few more – but af­ter such an abysmal first half I think any­thing would have been bet­ter re­ally.”

The Ca­naries were good value for their first-half lead as the home side, with­out the in­jured Ken­neth Zo­hore, looked de­void of ideas.

And when the ball came out to the edge of the area fol­low­ing a cor­ner in the 43rd minute, Stieper­mann fired in a low shot through a crowd of bod­ies to put Daniel Farke’s side in front.

Nel­son Oliveira then missed a good chance to dou­ble their lead be­fore the break and Warnock was forced into ac­tion.

Lee Tom­lin and Bogle were in­tro­duced and al­most im­me­di­ately on the re­sump­tion, Cardiff were level.

A cor­ner from the right was headed home by Sol Bamba but, to the con­ster­na­tion of the home crowd, ref­eree Andy Davies had al­ready blown for a penalty for push­ing in the area.

Thank­fully, Ralls con­verted and from that moment, there was only go­ing to be one win­ner.

Joe Ben­nett rat­tled the cross­bar be­fore Hoi­lett cut in­side from the left and fed Loic Damour. The French­man’s shot was par­tially blocked but Hoi­lett did well to vol­ley the ball over An­gus Gunn and in.

The keeper’s night got worse when he felled Tom­lin soon af­ter but this time Gunn called Ralls’ bluff and eas­ily stopped the tame spot-kick.

And there was still time for Bogle to turn home a third for Cardiff and leave Ca­naries boss Farke spit­ting feath­ers.

“In the first half my lads were bril­liant, they didn’t give one chance and took the lead with a bril­liant goal,” said Farke.

“What hap­pened in the sec­ond half was un­ac­cept­able, but we have to deal with that.

“No one can tell me why there was a penalty. It’s a foul on my player and we gave a penalty away. Five min­utes later they get a free-kick which was never a free-kick. Then they get a sec­ond penalty where their striker comes to me af­ter the game and says, ‘I slipped, sorry, but he didn’t touch me’.”

PICTURES: Ac­tion Im­ages

HERE WE GO: Joe Ralls scores Cardiff’s equaliser from the penalty spot and, inset, Omar Bogle clinches vic­tory with the third

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.