Ol­lie fum­ing af­ter two dis­missals

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Scott Hunt

IAN Hol­loway was left frus­trated with ref­eree Jeremy Simp­son af­ter he had two play­ers sent off in QPR’s de­feat against Pre­ston at Deep­dale.

The R’s were re­duced to ten men af­ter 22 min­utes when Jamie Mackie was dis­missed, while Alex Bap­tiste was also sent off af­ter the fi­nal whis­tle for an ap­par­ent com­ment aimed at Ben Pear­son.

Jor­dan Hugill struck the win­ner two min­utes from time to make it four games un­beaten for Pre­ston.

QPR are now five games with­out a win and have lost four of those, while they still haven’t won at Deep­dale since 1980. But Hol­loway’s fo­cus was on the ref­eree and Bap­tiste’s dis­missal.

“Alex Bap­tiste re­fused to shake Pear­son’s hand and he called him some­thing – the ref­eree told me he thought he’d said it to him,” Hol­loway ex­plained. “Alex didn’t even know it was him that had got the sec­ond yel­low. What he’s said to a former team-mate the ref­eree is say­ing he said to him.

“Week in, week out at the moment we seem to have a lot to be ag­grieved about when it comes to the man with the whis­tle. We will be ap­peal­ing Jamie Mackie’s red.

“It was a bit­terly dis­ap­point­ing day on the road again be­cause our per­for­mance with all the peo­ple we’ve got out was ab­so­lutely ter­rific. Un­for­tu­nately, we’ve got no points when we should have got at least one.

“We’ve lost one-nil. But am I proud? Yes. Is it a bad run we’re in? Yes. Can we get out of it? Yes.”

Pre­ston hadn’t scored in their pre­vi­ous two home games but their task was made much eas­ier when QPR were re­duced to ten men af­ter 22 min­utes. Mackie was given a straight red for a crunch­ing tackle on Tom Clarke.

And skip­per Clarke, mak­ing his first start since April af­ter an Achilles injury, had a chance to give Pre­ston the lead seven min­utes later, but headed wide from Paul Gal­lagher’s whipped free-kick.

The home crowd at Deep­dale were show­ing their frus­tra­tion and Pre­ston re­sponded with a pe­riod of sus­tained pres­sure, the clear­est chance com­ing on the hour when Pear­son squared for Cal­lum Robin­son, who was su­perbly de­nied from eight yards by a Bap­tiste block.

QPR re­mained a threat and came close with a set-piece in the 75th minute, as Ilias Chair’s de­liv­ery evaded ev­ery­one and al­most crept into the far cor­ner.

Two min­utes from time Pre­ston fi­nally got the break­through as Hugill was set through one-onone and slid the ball un­der Alex Smithies to snatch the win.

“Re­lief is the emo­tion as much as any­thing else,” said Pre­ston man­ager Alex Neil.

“When you play against ten men peo­ple think it’s easy to roll them over and win the game. We had to be on our guard and pa­tient and move the ball quickly. It was frus­trat­ing at times. We had to be com­posed and the chances will cre­ate them­selves.

“It was just re­lief that we’ve won the game. Hope­fully we can kick on and try and pick up some more points.

“I’m re­ally pleased for the fans. We’ve been through a sticky spell but I said all along to judge us when we get all our play­ers back. I had op­tions to­day which I didn’t have in pre­vi­ous games. That was pleas­ing.”


GIVE US A HUG: Pre­ston’s Jor­dan Hugill is mobbed af­ter scor­ing the late win­ner which has ex­tended their un­beaten run to four games

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.