Jor­dan’s jump­ing for joy in late show

The Football League Paper - - FA CUP - By Chris Spit­tles

YEOVIL res­cued a re­play against Port Vale thanks to a last-minute headed equaliser from the small­est player on the pitch.

Vale looked set to go through to the third round af­ter top scorer Tom Pope put them in front in the sec­ond half with his tenth goal of the sea­son.

But as the game ticked into the 90th minute, diminu­tive winger Jor­dan Green popped up to head in a cross from Oscar Gobern from close range.

It means the two teams will both watch tomorrow’s third-round draw with in­ter­est be­fore meet­ing again at Huish Park next Tues­day.

Af­ter see­ing his team come so close to pro­gress­ing into the next round, Vale boss Neil Aspin was left frus­trated by the draw.

He said: “I think we de­served to win the game and it leaves a sour taste in your mouth when you con­cede an equaliser so late in the game.

“Now we’ve got a re­play which isn’t great for us, it gives us an ex­tra game which we could re­ally do with­out.

“I’m very frus­trated and it feels like a de­feat. You get used to set­backs in football and you learn to get over bad times, but it leaves a bad taste when you let a goal in so late in the game.

“There were some plusses to take from the game and some good per­for­mances from some play­ers, but we re­ally should have won the game.”

Yeovil will now have home ad­van­tage for the re­play, and man­ager Dar­ren Way was de­lighted to snatch a draw so late on.

He said: “We fin­ished the game strongly and to­wards the end I thought an equaliser was look­ing in­evitable.

“I’m pleased for Jor­dan be­cause it’s his first goal for us and it could ob­vi­ously prove to be an im­por­tant goal for us.

“To be in the hat for the third-round draw is great, and the last time we were in this sit­u­a­tion we ended up play­ing Manch­ester United af­ter a re­play with Ac­cring­ton.

“It could have been a dis­ap­point­ing day but now we’ll see who we get in the draw and it could set up the re­play per­fectly.”

Af­ter a scrappy first half, Pope opened the scor­ing af­ter the break when he headed in a cross from sub Tyler Den­ton at the back post.

On 85 min­utes the home side should have dou­bled their lead as Mar­cus Har­ness set up An­ton For­rester, only for the striker to shoot wide from close range.

And in the fi­nal minute, Gobern’s cross was de­flected to fel­low sub Green, who nod­ded his first Yeovil goal to give them a re­play.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.