Big win for U16s at oban

The Galloway News - - SPORTS -

of bad de­ci­sions and a for­ward pass brought play to a halt. From this scrum the for­wards pushed Oban back and al­lowed Archie to pass along the line to Pacey Ho who cut in­side and scored near the posts.

As the game was ap­proach­ing half time, Oban were well in the game and very close to the Ste­wartry line but some fer­vent ag­gres­sive tack­ling and hold­ing up pre­vented Oban from scor­ing. As the Oban at­tack broke down the ball broke free and from their own line a kick and chase by Fraser Forsyth al­lowed him to glide over the ground al­most the full length of the pitch to score un­der the posts.

A cou­ple of changes were made at half time with Finn Bail­lie on for An­drew Bow­den and Luke Thom­son on for Pacey Ho. At the start of the sec­ond half Oban were on the of­fen­sive with some pick­ing and driv­ing around the scrum, how­ever, the Ste­wartry de­fence were up for the chal­lenge and re­pelled them each time.

Af­ter Oban spilled the ball, a clear­ance kick made it into the Oban half and af­ter a great chase the ball was picked up by Fraser Forsyth and passed along the line to Lochy Spence who scored in the cor­ner.

At this stage the Oban boys seemed to be weary­ing a lit­tle and the Ste­wartry was run­ning good lines at them and mak­ing ground rapidly.

One of these moves al­lowed Fraser Forsyth to run near the cor­ner where he popped the ball to Archie who scored in the cor­ner.

Af­ter the restart, Oban tried to make some ground but faced some qual­ity tack­ling and ruck­ing. This al­lowed Archie to seize a turnover ball and he passed it along the line for Fraser Gib­son to score near the posts.

Mur­ray Con­nor re­placed David Mar­tin, Rory Sin­clair re­placed Glen and Alexan­der McCormick re­placed Aaron Mur­ray who came off with a strained an­kle.

The game was ap­proach­ing the fi­nal quar­ter when Peter Young got the ball go­ing for­ward from a great scrum­mage and spot­ted the Oban play­ers drift­ing, darted through the Oban de­fence and then side stepped the full­back to score a fab­u­lous try un­der then posts.

As the match was near­ing the end, Oban were mak­ing a very con­certed ef­fort to score but met with some fan­tas­tic backs to the wall de­fend­ing, tack­ling and ruck­ing. Finn Telfer kicked the ball free and chased to the half way line where he hacked it on. Chased by most of the Oban team, he won the race to touch it down for the fi­nal try.

The Oban team never stopped try­ing and were very wor­thy op­po­nents. The at­ti­tude, in­spi­ra­tion, ef­fort and skill the whole 21 Ste­wartry boys against good op­po­si­tion was pleas­ing for the coach­ing staff.

The strong scrum­mag­ing and ruck­ing work of the front five for­wards made it easy for the tal­ented backs and flankers to cre­ate space and run lines which al­lowed the ball to go wide and nine tries to be scored.

With seven dif­fer­ent try scor­ers, it shows the team are us­ing all parts of the pitch to play open, at­trac­tive rugby.

Thanks to Oban for pri­ori­tis­ing this game for pitch space as they were aware of the dis­tance the boys were trav­el­ling.

The fi­nal game in the league is in two weeks’ time and a sim­i­lar per­for­mance will be hoped for by all.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.