Saints stage fight­back

‘We cel­e­brated it like a win’

The Galloway News - - SPORTS - Stu­art Gille­spie

St Cuth­bert Wan­der­ers put their coach­ing team through an“emo­tional roller­coaster”as they drew with league lead­ers Lochar This­tle on Satur­day.

The Kirkcud­bright side saw their 1-0 lead turned into a 3-1 deficit be­fore a stop­page time goal gave them a point.

Co-man­ager Craig Fraser said: “It was an emo­tional roller­coaster, it was one of those games that had ev­ery­thing and I don’t think I’ve been in­volved in a game like that for some time.

“We cel­e­brated it like a win – af­ter be­ing 3-1 down against po­ten­tial cham­pi­ons and get­ting it back to 3-3 it was great to get a point.

“It was two teams with dif­fer­ent agen­das as they were look­ing to main­tain their po­si­tion at the top and we were look­ing to keep within touch­ing dis­tance.”

Ian Miller’s free-kick gave Saints the lead be­fore Steven Scott’s cross-come-shot caught out keeper Wil­lie White.

The same player scored a stun­ning goal in the sec­ond half to put Lochar in front and an­other mis-hit cross, this time from Greig Good­win, ridicu­lous. With 10 men we re­shaped, we stuck an­other striker on and we got a penalty, but un­for­tu­nately we missed it, then they scored in the last minute.”

Star were with­out the sus­pended Muir as well as Liam Park and James Baty, for­mer skip­per Ritchie Maxwell com­ing in for a rare dou­bled the ad­van­tage.

But the visitors then had Blair Steele sent off and Blair Dougan scored to give Saints some hope, Ross Hunter scor­ing to se­cure a point in stop­page time.

Fraser said: “Both teams were cau­tious to start with, there wasn’t much foot­ball played and the ball was in the air a lot.

“We got a nice lead through Ian Miller’s free­kick and for five or 10 min­utes af­ter that we were quite com­fort­able. Then the ball was played wide and Steven Scott has gone to cross it to the back post and it’s ended up go­ing in. There was noth­ing Wil­lie could do, luck just went against us.

“I felt nei­ther side was dom­i­nat­ing and the sec­ond half started the same as the first and it was a bit scrappy.

“In the sec­ond half the ball broke to Steven Scott about 30 yards out, he just hit it and it stayed hit. It was a tremen­dous strike and he’ll never hit an­other one of those again – and I told him that on Satur­day night!

“Greig Good­win then tried to put in a cross and again he’s mis-hit it and it’s gone in and we were 3-1 down with two goals that weren’t re­ally meant.

“I could see the boys heads went down a wee bit but Blair Steele was sent off for a bad tackle which gave us a chance and we were push­ing on.

“Blair Dougan scored for 3-2 and for the last 10 or 15 min­utes we were just push­ing on and push­ing on. In the last minute Ross Hunter hit one that went in.”

Saints have brought in goalie Dale Leith from Cree­town to pro­vide cover for White and are look­ing for a new de­fender as Jack Loudon has signed for Th­reave Rovers.

Last night they were due to play new lead­ers He­ston Rovers with a trip to Stran­raer in prospect for Satur­day.

Fraser said: “Stran­raer beat us ear­lier in the sea­son. Like a lot of teams they’re fit, young, en­er­getic but they’re also a bit in­con­sis­tent.

“It’s a funny league at the mo­ment, there’s still four or five teams who can win the league which hasn’t been the case at this stage for the last few years.”

At­tack Dal­beat­tie Star’s Dean Brother­ston fights off a chal­lenge from a Gala de­fender

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.