• Victoria and Abdul
(PG) (Stephen Frears, 2017, UK/US) 112 mins. Judi Dench re-channels Queen Victoria and relives her companionship with an Indian servant in a drama with a worrying fondness for the days of empire.
• American Assassin
(18) (Michael Cuesta, 2017, US) 112 mins. Into the Bourne-shaped hole leaps Dylan O’Brien, who’s trained up by super-tough Michael Keaton into a deadly counterterrorist agent.
• The Villainess (18) (Jung Byung-gil, 2017, S Kor) 124 mins.
This Korean thriller’s trained female assassin plot is secondary but the action is phenomenal.
• Centre of My World
(15) (Jakob M Erwa, 2016, Ger/Aus) 112 mins. A German teenager falls for the new boy in school, and has an untroubled time of it, in a drama whose complications are in the margins.
• Close Encounters Of The Third Kind: Director’s Cut (PG) (Steven Spielberg, 1977, US) 137 mins.
A digital scrub-up for the sci-fi landmark.
• The Case for Christ
(PG) (Jon Gunn, 2017, US) 113 mins.
A journalist sets out to disprove the gospel in this star-studded, faithbased drama.
• The Jungle Bunch (U) (David Alaux, 2017, Fra) 97 mins.
Wacky, French-made kids’ animation.