Man ar­rested af­ter one-year-old boy is killed

Child dies and his sis­ter is crit­i­cally in­jured In­ves­ti­ga­tors await re­sults of post­mortem exam

The Guardian - - NATIONAL - Alice Ross and agency Po­lice sealed off the street in north Lon­don, above. Right, the boy who died Pho­to­graph: Jonathan Brady/PA

A 33-year-old man was ar­rested last night in con­nec­tion with the killing of a oneyear-old boy in an in­ci­dent in Fins­bury Park, north Lon­don.

Bid­hya Sa­gar Das was be­ing sought by the Metropoli­tan po­lice af­ter the in­ci­dent on Satur­day, which also left the vic­tim’s twin sis­ter crit­i­cally in­jured.

Both the chil­dren were taken to an east Lon­don hos­pi­tal on Satur­day night af­ter an in­ci­dent at a home in Wil­ber­force Road.

Neigh­bours said they saw a woman run­ning into the street scream­ing “my kids” late on Satur­day evening. Po­lice were called at 11.10pm.

The boy was pro­nounced dead shortly be­fore 1am yes­ter­day and the girl re­mained in a crit­i­cal con­di­tion.

A mur­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion launched yes­ter­day is be­ing led by DCI Dave Whel­lams of the homi­cide and ma­jor crime com­mand. Po­lice had urged mem­bers of the pub­lic to call 999 if they saw Das.

In his ap­peal Whel­lams said: “As the hours pass, the need to lo­cate Bid­hya Sa­gar Das be­comes more press­ing.

“He may have ap­proached friends or fam­ily in the af­ter­math of the in­ci­dent and I am specif­i­cally ap­peal­ing to these peo­ple to come for­ward.”

No post­mortem or for­mal iden­ti­fi­ca­tion of the boy had yet been car­ried out, po­lice said.

A po­lice he­li­copter searched Fins­bury Park in the early hours of yes­ter­day, and of­fi­cers car­ried out door-to-door in­quiries in Wil­ber­force Road. De­tec­tives were seen car­ry­ing foren­sic equip­ment into the prop­erty.

Mi­hai Manea, who lives in the build­ing, said the tod­dlers were twins who lived on the top floor. He said a col­league who also worked at the ho­tel had dis­cov­ered the chil­dren and was “in shock”.

“It’s re­ally tense,” Manea said. “There’s po­lice com­ing and go­ing all the time.”

A Metropoli­tan po­lice spokesman said: “De­tec­tives are ur­gently try­ing to trace a man who was at the flat shortly be­fore the in­jured chil­dren were found but left be­fore emer­gency ser­vices were called. The man has not been seen since this time.”

The Met said of the deaths: “Next of kin are aware. For­mal iden­ti­fi­ca­tion awaits and a post­mortem ex­am­i­na­tion will be sched­uled in due course.”

It added that in­quiries were un­der way to “es­tab­lish the full cir­cum­stances of the in­ci­dent”.

The Na­tional Po­lice Air Ser­vice he­li­copter had tweeted that it was as­sist­ing “of­fi­cers search­ing Fins­bury Park for a sus­pect”.

A woman liv­ing op­po­site the build­ing where the chil­dren were found, who gave her name as Gui Gui, said she heard a woman shout­ing late on Satur­day night and opened the win­dow to of­fer help.

“I was watch­ing TV,” she said. “I heard some­one was shout­ing. She kept on shout­ing. I do not know what she was shout­ing. I opened the win­dow and I asked her: ‘Can I help you, can I call the po­lice for you?’ “She said: ‘My kids’.” A po­lice car re­mained parked out­side the white three-storey build­ing last night and neigh­bours said that of­fi­cers had been search­ing prop­er­ties in the street.

Whel­lams said: “This is clearly a tragic in­ci­dent, and our thoughts are with the fam­ily of the two young chil­dren. De­spite the best ef­forts of med­i­cal pro­fes­sion­als a baby boy sadly died in the early hours of this morn­ing.

“A baby girl cur­rently re­mains in a crit­i­cal con­di­tion and is re­ceiv­ing spe­cial­ist med­i­cal care.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.