(Serves 2 and takes 25 minutes from preparation to completion)
1 fillet undyed smoked haddock (preferably peat-smoked) 350ml cold water
1 onion (finely chopped)
1 knob butter
150g Basmati rice
2.5 teaspoons masala (recipe below) 2 Eggs
1 teaspoon ground Kashmiri chilli ½ teaspoon turmeric powder Coriander leaves to garnish My whole masala blend: 2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 bay leaf
1 tsp whole peppercorns ½ tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
1. In a heavy based pan poach the haddock in the cold water then remove and set aside. Keep the water in a bowl or jug.
2. Add the butter to the same pan and the whole garam masalas to the pan. Next add the onion and cook until soft. 3. Add the rice, turmeric and ground Kashmiri chilli powder to the pan and stir once. Add half the water used to poach the fish and then put the lid on and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
4. While you are waiting for the rice to cook, poach the eggs
5. Keep checking on the rice until cooked. You may need to add a little more of the water.
6. Put the haddock back in and stir through, serve with the poached eggs on top and a few coriander leaves