Bruno de­liv­ers the knock­out blow for Neas­den

The Jewish Chronicle - - SPORT - BY CRAIG SIL­VER

A sec­ond-half hat-trick from Bruno Frankel took Neas­den B to within one win of Pre­mier Di­vi­sion foot­ball as they thumped rel­e­ga­tion threat­ened Faith­fold 5-1 at Bricket Wood.

The teams will meet again on Sun­day in what will be a nail-bit­ing finale to the JC MSFL sea­son with Neas­den need­ing max­i­mum points to leapfrog sec­ond place Mon­tana Boca United A, while Faith­fold must win to sur­vive.

De­spite the re­sound­ing score­line, it was Faith­fold who made the early run­ning and came close to tak­ing the lead af­ter four min­utes when a Si­mon Wax header shaved the bar from an Adam Phillips free-kick.

Tem­pers started to fray dur­ing the half as Faith­fold’s Yoni Rae­burn lost his cool on two oc­ca­sions but some­how man­aged to avoid Gary Sil­ver’s note­book.

With the news fil­ter­ing in that Mon­tana were only draw­ing against Hen­don, Neas­den joint-boss Mark Cowan urged his side to adopt a more at­tack­ing approach.

It came to no avail though as the Green’s con­tin­ued to dom­i­nate in terms of pos­ses­sion, but lacked the fin­ish­ing touch in front of goal.

A fired up Neas­den re­turned for the sec­ond half and de­servedly broke the dead­lock af­ter 53 min­utes when Frankel slot­ted home af­ter round­ing Richard Rap­per­port in the Faith­fold goal.

One be­came two min­utes later for Frankel and Neas­den as sub­sti­tute Ryan Glynne put him through on goal. Frankel kept his com­po­sure and volleyed the ball into the bot­tom cor­ner. Frankel com­pleted his hat-trick with 15 min­utes re­main­ing, sprint­ing through and ri­fling the ball home.

Si­mon Wax claimed what proved to be a con­so­la­tion for Faith­fold with a well-ex­e­cuted fin­ish. Daniel Hodes re­stored Neas­den’s three-goal ad­van­tage with a su­perb chipped ef­fort with five min­utes re­main­ing.

Ryan Glynne got in on the act in the fi­nal stages with Neas­den’s fifth, ham­mer­ing home an in­di­rect free-kick af­ter Rap­per­port had picked up a back pass.

Re­flect­ing on a job well done, Neas­den’s hat-trick hero Bruno Frankel said: “It was a mas­sive game for us and we knew what we had to do. Our first half per­for­mance was poor but we just tried to re­lax and, in the end, it was just a mat­ter of time un­til the goals went in.”

Neas­den joint-man­ager Mark Cowan added: “It was a great per­for­mance. Next week will be our cup fi­nal.”

Dis­ap­pointed Faith­fold joint-man­ager Robert Shu­man, re­flected: “Five goals, five mis­takes from us. But on the day they took their chances and we will be ready for them again on Sun­day.”


Faith­fold’s Yoni Rae­burn ( left) feels the pres­ence of Adam Velleman

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.