Faith do the busi­ness as Neas­den fold

The Jewish Chronicle - - Sport - BY CRAIG SIL­VER

JC MSFL First-half goals from El­liott Co­hen and Yoni Rae­burn en­sured Faith­fold B main­tained Di­vi­sion One sta­tus as they ended Neas­den Bs pro­mo­tion hopes on a dra­matic fi­nal day in the JC MSFL.

The re­sult means Marc Zei­d­man’s Mon­tana Boca United A will go up to the Pre­mier Di­vi­sion along with cham­pi­ons Glen­thorne, while South­gate Har­men A were rel­e­gated to the sec­ond tier.

A de­lighted Rob Shu­man, joint­man­ager of Faith­fold, said: “Quite sim­ply, 11 heros played to­day. It was an un­be­liev­able per­for­mance from all of them. I thought they showed tremen­dous com­mit­ment and pas­sion to win and keep Faith­fold up.”

Af­ter suf­fer­ing a 5-1 thrash­ing by Neas­den last week, re­venge was cer­tainly on Faith­fold’s mind. How­ever, it was Neas­den who started the game the sharper as Faith­fold’s goal led a charmed life. The vis­i­tors came close to break­ing the dead­lock on sev­eral oc­ca­sions with de­fender Mark Meltzer’s header sail­ing nar­rowly wide. Then Ben El­lis, whose height and pace pro­vided a con­stant men­ace, also came within inches of scor­ing.

El­liott Co­hen put the hosts ahead with an ab­so­lute cracker mid­way through the first half. He let fly with a vol­ley from 25 yards which curled beau­ti­fully into the top cor­ner.

Buoyed by the goal, the Greens dou­bled their ad­van­tage eight min­utes later as Yoni Rae­burn pro­duced an inch-per­fect per­fect chip over gi­ant Neas­den keeper Ed Bloom.

El­lis came close again just be­fore the in­ter­val. His surg­ing run saw him beat two de­fend­ers but his ef­fort drifted ag­o­nis­ingly across the face of the goal.

The Neas­den man­age­ment team of Mark Cowan and Sammy Carr changed things around at half time with Adam Velleman and Joey Glynne mak­ing way for Ja­son Co­hen and Ryan Glynne. They were given hope when cap­tain Yoni Sidi con­verted a penalty af­ter Steve Krein was fouled in the box.

Bruno Frankel, last week’s hat-trick hero, came within inches of send­ing Faith­fold down just af­ter the hour mark, but his ef­fort got stuck in the goal-mouth.

Glynne had a header cleared off the line with 11 min­utes re­main­ing. In a thrilling cli­max, he re­acted to the loose ball first but saw his ef­fort strike the post. Had it gone in, Faith­fold would have been rel­e­gated and their re­lief was clear at the fi­nal whis­tle as Neas­den re­flect on what might have been.

Neas­den joint-boss Mark Cowan re­flected: “We’re ob­vi­ously gut­ted. We’ve worked hard this sea­son and would have loved to go up, but that’s foot­ball. We just didn’t have any luck in front of goal to­day.”


Neas­den striker Ja­son Co­hen feels the full force of Nick Spe­vock’s tackle

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.