Bride married un­der two chu­pahs in one day

The Jewish Chronicle - - FRONT PAGE - BY ROSA DO­HERTY

PEO­PLE TALK of the drama of a bride’s big day, but Gaby Rose­hill’s be­came rather more dra­matic than she would have wanted.

The 29-year-old was stand­ing un­der the chu­pah, hav­ing just cir­cled round her hus­band-to-be, Dan, seven times at their wed­ding cer­e­mony in the Grand Ho­tel in Brighton on Sun­day when an alert was sounded. Ev­ery­one was told to evac­u­ate the build­ing.

The alarm was raised be­cause the nearby Brighton Cen­tre, which was host­ing the TUC con­fer­ence, had re­ceived an anony­mous bomb threat. The de­ci­sion was sub­se­quently made to clear not only that build­ing, but also the neigh­bour­ing ho­tels.

Many brides might have fallen apart af­ter see­ing her best-laid plans ap­pear to col­lapse, but the new Mrs Rose­hill, from Leeds, kept her cool as her 218 guests fled for safety.

“We were just about to be named hus­band and wife when the alarm went off,” she re­called. “Speeches were aban­doned and in­stru­ments be­long­ing to the band were left be­hind as the build­ing was evac­u­ated.”

The party was forced to seek refuge in the nearby Hil­ton Ho­tel for five hours, while police and a bomb squad se­cured the area.

Mr Rose­hill, 31, said he thought the alarm was a joke when it went off.

“The tim­ing of it was just too comedic,” he said. “But then peo­ple came run­ning into the room to say ‘get out’ and I knew it was se­ri­ous.

“I had to ask the rabbi: ‘Is this di­vine in­ter­ven­tion? Does God not want me to get married?’

“But he told me it was ‘just a test’ and we would get through it.”

De­ter­mined not to let the scare de­stroy their day, the cou­ple de­cided the only thing to do was keep a stiff up­per lip and carry on.

It was then that Mrs Rose­hill said her wed­ding plan­ners “re­ally kicked into ac­tion” to cre­ate a new wed­ding on the spot.

“The Hil­ton was amaz­ing. They pro­vided us with rooms, food and even found us a sheet for a makeshift chu­pah.

“My wed­ding plan­ners were amaz­ing, too. They were the glue that held the whole thing to­gether with grace and deco­rum. Af­ter the whole thing, they had to have a lit­tle cry. They have done many Jewish wed­dings but none like that.

“Who else can say they walked down the aisle twice at their own wed­ding, stood un­der two chu­pahs in two dif­fer­ent ho­tels in the space of two hours?”

Re­flect­ing on the drama while on the way to Gatwick air­port for her hon­ey­moon, Gaby con­tin­ued: “I can’t be­lieve we were evac­u­ated in a bomb threat that made na­tional news.”

The cou­ple said that be­ing ques­tioned by police in their yichud room was not what they ex­pected on their spe­cial day — but, they agreed, it proved they could cope with ad­ver­sity, a must for any marriage.

“I’ve never been ques­tioned by police be­fore in my life,” said the new bride.

“They were ask­ing us if we had any jeal­ous exes or peo­ple that would want to hurt us.”

But, she re­vealed: “Dan man­aged to laugh off the sit­u­a­tion the whole

way through.”

Who else can say they walked down the aisle twice?

Dan Rose­hill him­self said that he was moved when his friends be­came the pil­lars for a new chu­pah, hold­ing up each end of a sheet.

“We didn’t ac­tu­ally miss out on any­thing,” he said. “Our friends were amaz­ing and par­tied the whole day with us in two dif­fer­ent lo­ca­tions.”

It was not just the guests who sprang into ac­tion. The band mem­bers did their bit by us­ing glasses and cock­tail shak­ers as in­stru­ments “to keep the party go­ing”.

Mrs Rose­hill’s mother said she had been in “to­tal shock when the alarm went off”.

Deb­bie Les­lie, 53, added: “It was the not know­ing what was go­ing to hap­pen that was hard. Then there was

an almighty rush to get her married be­fore 6.30pm. It was like some­thing out of Fid­dler on the Roof.”

Dr Paul Les­lie added that he was “gut­ted” for his daugh­ter when her big day de­scended into chaos but felt im­mense pride at the way she han­dled it.

He said: “She was the most beau­ti­ful bride in the world and we are so proud of her. She was amaz­ing; she didn’t lose her cool once and she just dealt with it so well.”

Mrs Les­lie added: “There was an elec­tric spirit among the guests. Ev­ery­one was root­ing for both of them to get married no mat­ter what hap­pened.”

Af­ter nearly five hours, the search for a bomb was called off and Sus­sex

police de­cided that the threat had been a hoax.

In a state­ment, they said: “Thor­ough searches took place with the as­sis­tance of spe­cially trained police search ad­vis­ers, lo­cal of­fi­cers, police dogs and mil­i­tary ord­nance dis­posal ex­perts, in or­der to es­tab­lish as soon as pos­si­ble whether or not the call was a gen­uine one. Noth­ing un­to­ward was found and the call is be­ing re­garded as a hoax.”

Mr Rose­hill said: “We were al­lowed back to the Grand Ho­tel af­ter 9pm. We had missed our starter and main course but got to have dessert. It just goes to show all you re­ally need is love.

“I am look­ing for­ward to a wel­learned rest.”

Friends and fam­ily put to­gether a makeshift chu­pah af­ter the cer­e­mony had moved lo­ca­tion and be­gun again

The cou­ple had a wed­ding to re­mem­ber

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.